Straight Black

"Are you sure I look okay?" I breathed, tugging at the hem of my newly purchased, strapless sundress. It ended just a little above my knee, so it wasn't too long, and it wasn't too short. But it also wasn't as elegant as I pictured it would have to be. The white dress was simple, loose and light, with intricate lace from the waist down.

"Hey, I'd screw you," Matt commented unabashedly.

Will made a choking noise somewhere in the back of his throat while I grinned at the taller man. "Thanks, Matt."

"Here, wear a jacket," Will said quickly, shoving a light, chocolate-colored jacket at me.

"Hey, this is mine," I responded, frowning at it for a moment before shrugging it on. At least it matched my flats.

"That's because I grabbed it out of your closet before we left because I figured you wouldn't," he responded distractedly, gripping the top of my dress and hiking it up higher on my chest.

I slapped his hands away quickly, feeling a blush dusting my cheeks as Matt busted out into laughter. "I-I can do that myself, thank you!"

Will stiffly put his arms down at his sides, avoiding my gaze. "Sorry. I'm nervous."

"You're nervous?" I repeated, my eyes traveling past him to the towering yacht that was bobbing gently in the harbor's bay. Currently, we were in Cape Cod, Barnstable Harbor, waiting to board the yacht.

Dustin was at a friend's house for the night. Against his protests, saying he could spend the night alone at home. There had been a little arguing between us before he'd finally relented, calling up one of his classmates to request to spend the night. Fortunately, his friend's house was en route, so we had been able to drop him off on the way up.

"It's just..." Will heaved a heavy sigh, running a hand through his slightly gelled up hair. Tonight he looked exceptionally handsome, dressed in a simple, black long-sleeve shirt and a pair of dark-washed jeans. Though his attire sounded casual, it was obvious everything he wore was of high quality, and brand, I was positive. Fortunately salvaged from the wreckage of his house.

Matt slapped his brother on the back, the action creating a painful sounding smack. "Man up, Barbie. We're going aboard." He was dressed like his brother, informal, but formal at the same time. Just as handsome, too.

Grumbling under his breath, Will straightened out, taking in a deep breath. "Let's go then," he muttered, offering his arm out to me.

After a second of surprised hesitation, I slipped my arm through his, and we headed for the gangway. Butterflies filled my stomach, threatening to make me more squeamish than I would've normally been aboard a boat. Boats were among my list of greatest phobias. I wasn't a strong swimmer, so the thought of a sinking ship was terrifying. However, Will's presence beside me was a steady one, and the yacht was tied to a post, so I was able to relax.

The interior of the yacht was just as lavish and adorned as the exterior, with shining cherry wood floors and silver chandeliers lining the corridors. Elegant mirrors and portraits of the sea lined the cream-colored walls, perfectly spread out, symmetrical with the wall opposite. I stepped softly, fearing my noisy footsteps would break something. The ship almost put the Titanic to shame.

Then I realized I'd just compared the boat I was on to the Titanic, which sunk, and a wave of nausea rolled over me.

"Seasick?" Matt joked, catching sight of my expression. His lips curved up into a small smirk. "Where are your sea legs?"

"At home, next to my sea-sickness pills and other sea parts."

Will squeezed my shoulder in a painful way, but I think he meant for it to be reassuring. I figured it was his nerves showing again. "We'll be sitting in a moment," he promised. "And if my mom says anything... punch her."