Chapter 5

Present Time 

Beatrice POV

"You"

I decided then and there that I didn't have time for this.

"Yeah, okay," I said in a venomous tone. I was satisfied when I saw hurt flash in his eyes. Good, he needed to know how it felt. 

"We're leaving," I said turning around and looking at Celia and Caroline square in the eyes as if to say that this wasn't up for discussion. 

They didn't need to know. No one knew who Peter was and I'd like to keep it that way. 

Holden and Asher backed away, clearly uncomfortable.

"Uh..we'll see you guys later," Asher said.

"Yeah..bye Caroline, Celia and uh..Bea..okay" he stuttered and practically ran away from the parking lot. 

I forced myself to turn around and walked straight to my car with Celia and Caroline following.

I got in, practically fuming and put the keys in the ignition. I backed out and drove straight home but not before glancing back to see Peter, still standing there completely and utterly pissed off. 

..

..

..

..

..

..

I was sitting in my bedroom with my knees against my chest and Celia and Caroline on either side. I could tell if Caroline didn't speak in the next minute she would spontaneously combust. 

"Just spit it out, Caroline," I said frustrated.

"Who is he? YOU NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT YOUR FIRST KISS?! When did it happen?! He's hot though, I bet it was-"

"Cool it, Caroline." Celia interrupted and I was appreciative. I didn't want to talk about it let alone relive it. 

I had practically forced myself to pretend nothing had happened that summer, painstakingly altering every memory, smile, laugh, telling myself that it was all in my head because he didn't care. I wasn't his girlfriend, but I wasn't even sure if we had ever been friends. That hurt the most. 

He ruined it and I hated him for it. I had to. 

I clearly meant nothing or less than nothing, if he expected me to fall into his arms a year later for no reason at all. It was pathetic and it didn't matter. He didn't matter.

"Okay, we are going to curl your hair, put on some music and have the time of our lives getting ready for graduation!" Caroline spoke, committed to the idea and I instantly felt better.

Graduation at night. It was a first. It was meant to be tomorrow morning but there was a bad weather forecast and I guess the school decided to put our expansive green courtyards to use with fairy lights, candles, and satin covered tables. I was actually looking forward to it.

He-who-shall-not-be-named was not going to ruin it for me. 

Two and half-hours had gone by and Caroline had finally finished my make up as I began putting on a silky red dress that glittered in the faint light. Then there was a knock on the door.

I rushed over and opened it to find Brynn standing there, acting bored but clearly curious.

"I have something for you," she said in her airy voice.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I want mac 'n' cheese first," she said with a cool smile.

"Brynn, if you keep eating that you'll have no nutrition in your body and end up looking eighty," I said with a dark voice in an attempt to frighten her.

It seemed to work. 

"Fine, I'll just go eat cookies then," she said. Progress, right?

She was about to turn and walk down the hall before I spoke; "Brynn? What did you have for me?"

"Oh right," she said.

She grabbed a neatly folded black piece of paper from her room and walked over importantly. 

I took it from her, unfolding it hastily.

Two words were written in, again, incredibly horrible handwriting with a silver sharpie.

"Game on"