Chapter 19

The twelve potential bodyguards were separated by partitions, and given a table with three glasses of water, five dishes and two desserts. They all looked the same, which made it impossible to identify the poison's root through the visible eye. They were to differentiate which of each were poisoned, no matter what they did.

They all look identical, Fang thought. If I try to consume it, it'll affect me in later tests.

Fang had spent his life under Kaizo's training. He did spent years telling apart poison and edibles. This was no exception. He had seen almost every type of poison that the universe had to offer.

Thunderstorm was in a similar situation. He knew exactly what poison was and what they held, since he had his fair share of it in that godforsaken experiment.

Still, if it was odourless and tasteless, it might hold a challenge, when it comes to desserts like ice-cream and pudding.

Fang had the easy route. He conjured his shadow panther and let it try it for him. The funny thing was, no matter which sample it ate, it choked and collapsed every time. Fang groaned and rolled his eyes. Was this really necessary?

Thunderstorm shrugged and tried a bit of each. He was immune to poison, so it wouldn't affect him.

By the time everyone was done, most of the other ten participants was throwing up from the effects of the poison. Some of their faces were green and some just passed out.

"Your answers!" The commentator declared.

Other than Fang and Thunderstorm, the others only answered one of each.

"All of them are poisoned," Fang answered.

"All of them are poisoned," Thunderstorm agreed. "With an exact ten-millilitres of cyanide, sulphur and iodine all diluted with odourless solution, all placed in them for an exact 642 seconds while being exposed to an environment suited for chemicals, most likely in a laboratory."

The commentator gawked at him.

The next test took part in the same arena, but with the temperatures would be cranked up to a 193 Celsius and down to -283 Celsius in a matter of seconds. They weren't joking when it was an extreme climate test.

It opposed no challenge towards Thunderstorm. He could shift to Blaze or Ice with no sweat broken. All Fang had to do was create a sphere with a vacuum space so it wouldn't affect him.

Again, they were the only ones that could still stand on their two feet. The rest of the competitors struggled to even stand, all suffering from frostbite and severe burns.

Next, it was a combat situation. They each had a dummy the size of an adult to protect while completing an obstacle course while being pursued by robots who can shoot lasers. Bonus points for destroying them.

"This is stupid." Thunderstorm ducked as a swinging axe sailed over his head. Let no harm come to the dummy, they said. Well screw that. If he activated his lightning speed, whoever is in contact with him will be electrocuted.

Fang had it easier. Despite still being slower than Thunderstorm, he summoned his falcon and flew over all the obstacles that consisted of swinging axes, lasers, motion detectors and spike pits that would open on the floor at complete random. He created shadow hands and destroyed the pursuing robots.

Thunderstorm slid under a laser that shot out of nowhere, all the while still hoisting the dummy over his shoulder. He turned around sharply and electrocuted the robots, then finished the course in first place, with Fang running up a few seconds later.