Chapter 7

Flashback ~ 1 Year Ago

Beatrice POV (finally!!)

This summer had gone by faster than I expected, and every time I thought about how this was my last week with the Pearsons, I felt a knot in my chest.  I didn't want to go home. I loved Mr. and Ms. Pearson's warmth and I'd become friends with Ashely, Austin's fiancee. School could never match up to the buzz and excitement in the campaigning office. And then there was the elephant in the room. 

Peter.

I'd been asked out on dates before but I never made it to the second date because I had nothing in common with boys at my school. I had everything in common with Peter, yet I felt like there was so much more to explore. I was always a bit mature for my age, and Peter was the only one I could have grown-up conversations with. I loved how he respected his parents despite the fact that they were away so much, just like I felt about mine. He had nothing but words of admiration for Austin and Ashley. He felt like he could never compare to Austin. 

I can't believe he didn't how intelligent he was. I was never intimidated when it came to my intelligence, except when it came to him. Of course, I'd never let him know. It didn't hurt that he was ridiculously hot too. 

All I wanted was to call Caroline and tell her everything so she could tell me what to do. I didn't. A part of me just wanted Peter to be private. Just for my mind and memory. 

I knew there was something going on between us. I felt it every time we looked at each other. But I didn't know what it meant to him, or if it meant anything serious at all. I didn't do flings but I was scared of just how vulnerable I acted around him. I would go along with anything and it terrified me. 

We were talking in the kitchen last night and he said he would have used better arguments if he was in my place today. I was over the moon. He treated me like an equal.

That was what today was about. I walked into the campaign office, trailing behind Peter as he threw me a wink. It was like an unspoken message 'I won't treat you differently from the other interns but I can't wait to talk to you after'. I was perfectly happy with that system.

"Okay, Beatrice," Brad said, hopping over a chair. "Like I said yesterday, you won, so you get to pick what we do today." 

"I want to challenge someone for a debate," I said. 

The whole room went silent.

"Beatrice, you've already debated everyone in this room," he said laughing nervously. 

"Not Everyone." I turned my gaze to Peter.

As the realization hit him, he had an almost hungry glint in his eyes.

..

..

..

..

..

"That wasn't fair" I pouted.

"You know it was" he replied.

"I should have won" I whined. I was not used to losing.

"You only lost by five points, Beatrice," he said, lifting my chin and smiling down at me.

"Fineeee" I said, admitting defeat.

"Come on, let's clean up," he said retreating and I instantly missed the contact.

All the interns had left and we were cleaning, knowing we won't have the room in a few days. It was mostly crumpled paper balls and discarded documents.

Peter piled up all the paper balls into a small metal trash can till it was practically overflowing.

He bowed his head, holding up the can to me.

I did a small curtsy with my dress, giggling as I accepted the present.

"I'll get you real flowers, Beatrice," he said, his tone serious.

"You better" I replied beaming.