Attacking the Fortress: Part 2

Though the tunnel magnified every step and breath they took, their group was surprisingly quiet. Algernon and Lyron were obviously accustomed to walking stealthily, which made sense given Algernon was a hunter and Lyron was a servant. If Carissa had served Reapers, she'd want to go unnoticed as well.

Carissa's foot hit stone, and she guessed this was where the stairs began. The light in the passage gradually brightened until they emerged into a hallway.

Carissa gripped Elon's hand and squeezed. "I'll see you soon?"

Elon nodded. "But if not, then I'll find you." He brushed a kiss across her cheek.

Algernon grunted. "This is a mission to conquer the fortress, not your honeymoon."

Carissa released Elon's hand and turned towards Algernon. She'd be lucky if she made it through this without killing the man.

"About time," Algernon said. He darted down the hallway, bow clenched in hand.

Carissa glanced one more time at Elon before following Algernon. She kept up with him for a minute or two until pain dug into her side and she lagged behind. She must not have gotten much exercise while she was drugged.

Their turn appeared, and Carissa slowed—finally. But Algernon shot past it.

"Wait," Carissa whispered.

Algernon stopped and gestured for her to follow him.

She shook her head and pointed down the hallway. "It's this way. Elon said we should go to the Great Room first to attract the most attention."

"I have a better idea." Algernon continued down the hallway.

Carissa glanced towards the Great Room, aglow with their strange purple torches. She considered going without Algernon, but Elon had said they'd need him. Which meant she should probably follow him and make sure he didn't kill himself.

Carissa ran after him, her feet thudding against the hard stone. She caught a glimpse of the man as he veered around the corner, then up a set of stairs. He obviously had a destination in mind. Carissa thought back to their map, recalled her last few turns. The servants' rooms were here, but little else. Why would Algernon want to go to the servants' rooms? Didn't he hate servants of Reapers?

Algernon suddenly halted, and as she glanced past him, she saw why: a Reaper stood in the middle of the hallway.

The Reaper withdrew his Scythe, his gaze shooting to her. "We anticipated your return, Queen of Nysia. We knew you'd come for the servants."

Carissa slowed by Algernon and unsheathed her sword. If they'd been expecting her, that meant there were more Reapers nearby. This was bad. Very bad.

The Reaper nodded towards Algernon. "And you've brought a friend along."

Though she expected Algernon to lash out, instead he lowered his bow. "I haven't come here to attack you; I've come here to make you an offer."

An offer? This wasn't a part of their plan.

Algernon lunged for her, knocked the sword from her hand, and twisted her arm behind her back—just short of popping it out of socket. She clenched her teeth against the pain as he leaned in and whispered, "Now who has the element of surprise?"

Anger scorched her chest, so hot she was surprised Algernon wasn't burned by touching her. As soon as she managed to escaped his hold, he was going to be a very dead man.

The Reaper twirled his Scythe, amusement dancing in his red eyes. "What are you proposing, human?"

Algernon twisted a bit tighter, and she gasped in pain. "I'll give you her if you allow me to escape with one of your servants."