Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

"Lou-Lou!" Kara yelled back as the two friends pulled away from each other. "God, I'd forgotten how tall you are!"

"You're just short." Louis snickered before taking in the sight of the person who had been his best friend for as long as he could remember.

Her brown eyes gleamed with happiness and excitement. Her brown curls were slightly askew because of the hug, though still sitting as they did in all the pictures Louis had of her. She was about a foot shorter than Louis, and it looked like she had been through his wardrobe, as the jumper she had on seemed a mile too big for her.

"What are you doing here? It's so late! And on the other side of the country!" Louis' voice seemed to have gone up an octave, though it wasn't in his control.

The happiness, confusion, and excitement rippling through his body seemed to have taken over the steering wheel.

"My dad took a big holiday from work, and I convinced him and my mum to come back here! I wanted to surprise you!" Kara yelled; her voice still laced with excitement. "And I'm here this late because I couldn't wait to see you! And your aunt let me in to wait for you. I didn't realise you'd be this long; where were you?!" The words rushed out of Kara's mouth, and Louis had to try his hardest to catch everything she was saying.

It had been so long since they had seen each other in person, and to Louis, it was a dream come true. He would give anything to have Kara move close to him again so that they could see each other more. He missed her. All the time. Seeing her in the flesh again seemed like a dream. As a matter of fact, the whole night had felt like a dream.

"I'm so happy you're here!" Louis whispered, and he could feel tears welling up in his eyes.

Thinking quickly, he moved to Kara and pulled her in for another hug, enjoying her company more and more with every passing second.

"You didn't answer my question." Kara smiled, and she pulled away from Louis for the second time. "Why are you in so late?"

"Well, my father, if you must know, I was hiding a body," Louis said, moving into the small kitchen, Kara sliding onto the chair at the tiny counter. "Sam got on my nerves."

"Is that a new shirt?" Kara asked, ignoring what Louis had said. "Louis... you seem different."

"I had a small funeral for him, also," Louis replied, grabbing a bag of chips from the cupboard and putting them between Kara and himself.

"You seem happier..."

"Maybe because my best friend is visiting?" Louis chuckled.

"Did you... meet someone?" Kara asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Define meet."

"Louis!' Kara yelled. 'Did you go on a date with someone? Don't you lie to me!"

"Actually... not really." Louis' voice slid to a higher note at the end of the sentence.

Technically, it wasn't a lie. Of course, Kara would still think it was a date, so Louis was trying to avoid the conversation altogether. He was failing.

"Stop dancing around the question." Kara raised her eyebrows.

"We both know that I can't dance." Louis grinned, swiftly dodging a slap from Kara.

"You're lucky I can't be bothered getting up," Kara warned, "or I would smack you in the face."

"Oh, yeah. Because you'd be able to reach," Louis mocked before dodging another slap.