47| invitation |

All eyes fell on the elegant woman who walked in. Dressed in the most beautiful shade of light blue, my mother came to greet her unexpected guests. Rowena Sheffield was surprised, as if she didn't expect Sarah to be there, in her own home. Or maybe it was the fact that she was not expecting Sarah to come to the parlour to meet them.

"Oh, Sarah. How are you, love?" She asked ever so sweetly.

"I am very well, Rowena. That's your highness to you. Please, do sit down." Both ladies air kissed eachother's cheeks and sat down.

Your highness. .

My mother didn't strike to me as a person who would make people address her by her title, even her lady's maid calls her by her name. This was indeed interesting.

"Let me introduce you to my adopted daughter, Maleah Sheffield. She was here when you invited the girls to the palace, I am sure you remember, your highness."

Maleah was greeted warmly. The air still holding the crispness, though, despite the warmth of the amenities.

"Rowena, I am sure you are familiar with Estella, my daughter. Estella, honey, this is Mrs. Sheffield, she is the Governer's wife. The Governer is a good man." My mother introduced.

I could not help but notice the difference in the two introductions made in the past two minutes. One that of Maleah's and one mine. Both the women introduced their newly adopted daughters, but the manner in which they were made was unlike one another. Something, judging by her expressions, that didn't escape Maleah's attention either.

"Oh, I am! She is a very charming girl!" Rowena said, a big smile- too fake- on her face. "Leah talks about her all the time. I have only heard good words for this lass."

I just smiled back at her, not wanting to seem the least bit of arrogant. I doubted Leah ever talked good about me, we were never on very good terms, despite my attempts of being friends with her.

"She is a brilliant girl, no question there. "

Mrs. Sheffield looked to her daughter, "Maleah , dearest, if you will." She gestured towards us. My mother and I curiously looked at Maleah Sheffield.

"Yes, of course ,mother. Your highness, and Estella, I would like you to come to my welcoming ball. My wonderful family has arranged a ball to introduce me to everyone in their acquaintance, and I would love if my friend, Estella and her family came too." Maleah, said. Her eyes smiling, her poise maintained.

"Well, I will have my daughter answer that for you." Princess Sarah put her hands on my back and warmly smiled at me.

"We would like to come, when is it?" I answered, nodding to my mum. I answered in affirmative so that it didn't seem rude, but now I was thinking maybe I should have consulted the family before I answered for them too. Hopefully they will be fine with it.

The Sheffields gave me the details of the event and then after some small talk they took their leave. It was nice seeing a familiar face again, even if it was Maleah's. We left the room and parted ways to go to our own respective rooms.
.....

At nightfall, the family gathered in the dining hall and enjoyed a pleasant dinner with a light conversation. Everyone sat in the family's common room for sometime to catch up on their day. It was a regular practice which was both very common and sweet that the Royals found time for all of their family even if it was only at dinner table and late at night. The baby, of course, was not in this gathering for he had been put to sleep a good long time ago, and now was being watched over by the aide.

I told them of the meeting with the Sheffields and how I agreed to being at the gathering on their behalf too. Then and there it was revealed that only George could accompany me, because the Queen and her son with their significant others were to attend the Annual Royalty Dinner in Finnotica, while Eric and Catherine were each committed to engagements with their patronages.

The matter was settled, and then we proceeded to make some more small talk. Our topics were on a very large spectrum, we laughed, and then we were stern. We discussed the most official matters and then we laughed most candidly on the other things, we talked about all things formal and all things casual. After this session of a little over an hour of being unreserved and gay, everyone retired.

-ShShKhan

VOMMENTMEND!

Shootouts to:
thequietwriter
shreya07
ChloeFairchild

Check them out for amazing books!