48|At the ball|

A few days later, the day for the ball rolled in, Friday. I woke up on my own accord. Lilley, my lady's maid did not have to draw the curtains to let the frabjous rays tingle me awake. After having a light breakfast, I came to my room entertaining myself with the book Edward had gifted me.

The Queen had left for Finnotica on Thursday, for the dinner which was on Friday; today. Catherine and Eric had left early in the morning, and they would not be back until late. Nate was with his nanny, and us.

After having read more than a few chapter of the very intriguing book, I decided to check up on Nate. Once in the nursery, I found the infant sound asleep, unbothered by the sunlight that poured in through the large window.

I sat in the window seat watching the baby sleep. George joined me too, we whisper-talked, making sure that our conversations didn't disturb the baby's sleep. Nathaniel woke up somewhere between our dialogues and we entertained ourselves with him, and then he was put back to sleep by his nanny.

At around sixteen-hundered hours, I left to get ready for the ball, that was late considering that I was ordered to be in the room, ready for a bath right after luncheon. Lilley was ready with warm water and rose petals, a towel in hand, she shook the head at my belatedness but didn't say a word.

After I had had my bath and Lilley dressed me in a beautiful lilac ball gown. The gown was extravagant yet sophisticated, it was the perfect dress. Lilley worked her magic in my hair, by pulling them in an elegant ipod, leaving a few curled tendrils to frame my face. She adorned my hair with bejeweled hair pins, my neck with an amethyst necklace, my ears with matching earrings. She placed three beautiful options for bracelets in front of me. I opted for the silver and lilac one.

By evening I was ready to leave the house with my brother, who looked quite dapper in his black suit.

We arrived at the venue in our black sedans, the chauffeur opened the door and helped me out of the car. The Sheffield house was nothing short of extravagance. We were dropped off at a huge, beautiful porch, from where, there were two entries. One of which was carpeted in deep red, this led us right into the lobby towards the ballroom.

The inside of the house was decorated magnanimously, with all things glittering. Every object of decor had gold in it. All the adornments put together in one place didn't look pleasing at all, but they weren't particularly abhorrent either. We entered the ballroom, my hand in the crook of my brother's arm, and the herald announced us.

Even before the announcement, the activity had paused, and it resumed only after had made our way down the staircase. The people curtseyed to us, and went back to dancing. The hosts flocked us and led us to a stage. Maleah looked happy, and elegant, her mother however looked the same, stern and forcibly smiling. Governor Sheffield was introduced to me for the first time. He was like his wife, his expressions were forced, rather than felt, but he was a few degrees warmer than Mrs. Sheffield.

Our hosts left us in a short while, to mill around and greet other guests. Amidst the merriment, someone on the outskirts of the room caught my attention. He was a tall man with a gloominess about him. He was staring at us, and that too, not very subtly.

I looked to George to see if he had noticed, but he was too engrossed in a conversation with a gentleman. I averted my eyes, and thought nothing of the dark man and busied myself in conversation with Maleah, who just joined me with two young girls.

She introduced the tall, lean girl as Elizabeth Caravaggio, her new cousin on her mother's side, and the other slightly shorter pretty girl was a friend; Kitty Moland. We made small talk, tried to get familiar. And soon it was time for the next dance, George asked Kitty Moland to a dance, whereas Maleah and Elizabeth were asked by his friends, I declined the offers and stepped away from the dance floor only to find the shady man right infront of me.

"Excuse me, sir." I said and tried to get around him.

"Your highness, I meant to talk to you. I saw you noticing that I was there." I stopped and listened to what he had to say.

"What is your name?" I asked him.

"It is Mark, your highness."

"Mark? Alright, if I am to address you by your first name then you are to call me Estella, please." I said to him.

"Very well, as you say." He plastered a smile in his face, and I somehow noticed a smugness to it. Maybe it was there, or it might not have been. I couldn't be sure given my suspicions about him.

"Very well, indeed. So, Mark, what is it that that you wanted to say?"

He had to look down to look at me, he towered over me and was too slender. He still had a smile on his face, that didn't reach his eyes.

"Estella, I just wanted to ask if you wanted to dance? I mean we could get familiar while we danced."

"I would have accepted if it were not for two reasons. The first, we have not been properly introduced, and the second, I have declined the other gentlemen this dance, it would seem highly impertinent if I agreed to you for this."

He nodded, hopefully understanding my reasons. "Perhaps you could promise me the next dance, we could be properly introduced in the interval."

I smiled at his determination, and it intrigued me too. And so I agreed.

A/N

I mean it's been days since, a year actually since we talked!

How are you all?

How is the Quarantine going?

I hope you all are staying safe, staying home!

It's terrible, what's happening. Praying hard that we go back to our normal lives. I had just started my college and then this Pandemic hit! Taking me away from my college merely 2 months later!

Anyhow!

Comment what are your activities and make sure to VOMMENTMEND!♡

Also how do you like the chapter?

New entries, new cloud of questions... "who are they and why are they here?"

Read on to find out!
....

Also spread the word! Next chapter will be up when I get 2.9k reads and a total of 430 votes, which is not very far away! Actually either one of these and I will post.

Special thanks to ktr_010 who recently joined our Marked Royal family!

Thank you for your votes!

Aaaaand as I have been recommending books in the past, I am going to do so again.

I am currently reading "The Misfit Theatre Company" by SarahPerlmutter, check it out!