Chapter 1

And that, my dear readers, was how he found his partner in crime.

"This is the worst idea in the history of ideas," Reverse deadpanned. "You're not an idiot, but somehow you could make a good one."

Fang scowled. "You got a better idea?"

"Any idea would be better than this." Reverse glared at him across the café table. "You really think I would fit in an organization like TAPOPS? I'd sooner eat glass for a month—no, I'll drown myself in lava—"

Fang grasped Reverse's hand with both of his. "Babe, calm down. It's only temporary. Once we get what we wanted, it's out we go."

"Easy for you to say." Reverse retracted his hand. "You know I can't stand fakers, heroes or villains alike!"

Fang sighed. This was by far, he had to admit, the worst idea they could ever conjure up with, especially with the fact that his brother was working there. It was the only idea that could get them inside of the organization without a big-ass escape plan and three years' worth of planning.

He knew this was hard on his boyfriend, and also on him. But is it really that hard? Hating false heroes he can understand, but is it worth the effort? Even if their goal is admirable, but this wasn't the best route to take.

Reverse growled in exasperation and slumped back in his seat, his coffee untouched. If this was what it takes to make their lives easier, he would do it.

"Fine," he snarked. "Only if you're coming with."

Fang smirked. "You're the boss."

Disguising themselves as different people wasn't as hard as they thought. All they needed was a fake name and a lie to be considered for the entrance exam. The recruits there said the exam was nearly impossible for people without special potent powers to complete, and they were about to testify that theory.

The written exam was relatively easy. They'd spent a significant amount of their free time researching forgotten or missing power spheres and information of every known organization. Fang had a 95, and Reverse had 90.

Next up was the Survival Test. Reverse had caught wind that this was going to be a test of cookery, so he stole two recruits' skills and gave one of them to Fang. They passed with a sturdy 85 each.

But then came the final test, the Focus Test. Before ditching Kaizo, Fang had learned this rhyme and focusing on his opponent ever since he could remember. He passed it with a solid 100. Reverse had the easier route. He stole the gorilla's skills of the game and used it against him, resulting him achieving 140, with the extra points for "outsmarting" the gorilla.

"That was..." Reverse couldn't find the words. "... easy?"

Fang pecked his forehead. "You did great. But that's not all."

Reverse glared. "Not in public. And what do you mean 'that's not all'?"

An hour later, when they were in a foreign alien terrain, Reverse understood what Fang had meant. It was a planet obscured by trees and mountains, visibly uninhabited by intelligent lifeforms that they know of. There could be an entire advanced civilization going on invisibly. It wasn't a zero percent chance, but it's still unlikely.

Their test was to retrieve a power sphere named Ochobot, though Reverse had second thoughts regarding their supposed objective. Wasn't that the power sphere that had given him his powers? What was he doing here?

The commander and the admiral had given them next to no information, so they didn't have much to work with. Their powers don't bode well with the environment.