Chapter 10

Present

Beatrice POV

All of us were finally dressed and ready to head to graduation. It felt surreal. It's time. We walked downstairs, just as my parents walked in with their suitcases.

"Mom, dad, you made it!" I said rushing over to give them a hug. 

"Of course, we wouldn't miss it for the world!" mom said kissing my forehead.

"You didn't think we would miss graduation did you?" my dad said, giving me a tight hug.

"Jack! Amy!" Caroline screeched enveloping both my parents in a huge hug which resulted in them stumbling a few steps back. 

..

..

..

..

As soon as we reached graduation, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was gorgeous. All of it. Our expansive green courtyard had been decorated by tiny fairy lights curling around every curve, every bush and every tree giving us warmth in the cold night. There were circular tables littered across the beautiful gardens with spectacular floral centerpieces and satin cloths. There was a live band off to the side dressed in tuxes playing instrumental jazz as parents, couples, and friends danced together. A sleek long buffet table extended itself towards the edge of the garden with drinks and miniature entrees. 

A huge banner adorned the old brick archway guarding the view with the words "Class of 2019" written across in a cursive pattern. I heard Celia gasp next to me as she said "Seriously, and the school has no funding for an acrobats club?"

I just laughed.

 "This is graduation, there are no excuses. I made sure of it." Caroline said, her blonde curls bouncing. I don't know how, but when it comes to events, Caroline always found a way to be a part of the conversation. Even if she wasn't invited. 

"Yeah the organizing committee still doesn't know who left all those detailed, highlighted, color-coded, and filed set of graduation recommendations in their lockers." I heard Holden's voice interrupt as a silly grin made its way onto his face.

We turned around to find Holden and Asher dressed in tuxes as Celia and Caroline instantly left my side, squealing and attacking them in bear hugs.

"Seriously guys? You saw each other three hours ago!" I groaned and scrunched up my face as they continued to attack them with kisses.

"Time for pictures!" I heard my mom announce and it took at least thirty different poses of all of us together and one too many blinding flashes of light for her to finally let us go.

Everyone was dressed so fancy, it looked like a prom/graduation crossover. Everyone just wanted to get the boring stuff over with and party, even the parents.

My parents took their seats as we all lined up behind a podium with the rest of the graduating class. The principal gave the opening address, followed by the valedictorian Jennifer Coast and finally, we were throwing our alarmingly red graduation caps into the air and shrugging off the silky robes. Thank god.

Celia and Caroline had started crying at this point, a slobbering mess. I heard Caroline hiccuping, which was a sign that she snuck too many glasses of champagne from the waiter, by flirting with him. 

"You're so beautiful Caroline!" Celia cried.

"No, look at you-you're so PERFECT and Beatrice-" Caroline said turning to me. 

"Yes, yes I know I'm awesome," I said finishing for her.

After they both seemed to sober up a bit, the worst thing happened.