II. His Return

Crown Prince Zhao Ju stepped off his carriage, outstretching his hand to help his female companion. Ming Lihua was recommended to him by his ever so lovely younger brother, who claimed he had an eye for adventurous women and introduced the two. Unable to argue and still fuming at the results of his wedding night, Ju readily agreed.

"Oh, your highness," sighed Lihua, clutching onto his arm. "You are so kind for helping me."

With short, choppy brown hair that only fell to her shoulders, Lihua tied red, rain-kissed flowers to her hair, lining her eyes with black and puckering her rosy lips at him, believing it was enough to tempt him like when he was with Mian.

As Ju looked into her anticipating eyes that shined with glee, he could only find her brown irises as exciting as the soil below.

They lacked passion, innocence, and most of all the gentle aura that Mian carried around her. Feeling the eyes of his peers, Ju pecked her lips for only a second before pulling away, leading her into the palace without another word.

Lihua did not mind his silence. All her life, she had been tossed around by men who abused her, taunted her, and at times even tried to kill her. Her heart had darkened under the pressure, bitterness lacing in between her veins and arteries, a bloodstream of distaste at the universe.

But she found her prince, a cold-hearted man with a drive to war and battle. Ju had taken Lihua with him as his concubine, although she was not officially recognized as one since she only stayed within his tent.

After angrily fleeing from Mian, Ju had traveled to a local brothel that many nobles and high class merchants indulged in from their savory drinks to their dancing women.

Lihua had been there with lustful brown eyes, a woman fully willing to spread her legs and welcome him. With encouragement from Prince Zhao Lei, he had pursued her, flirted while half drunk, and even kissed her.

When their lips touched, he expected the same burning passion to coil around him in its blissful embrace, but her lips lacked the taste he craved for, lacked the vibrancy of gasps, and lacked the gentle touch that only Mian knew of.

Ju could not bring himself to consummate either relationships, not with his wife or his concubine.

Instead, he followed the calling of the brutes, slashing his sword against thick, muscled necks in ease. He strided with his beloved black stallion towards victory, leaving no barbarian with mercy because Ju slaughtered all that dared to invade his empire.

"Ah, my victorious son arrives," cheered the Emperor on his throne. "Come, it has been far too long."

Ju bowed his head slightly in respect. "It has, Father."

The elderly man stroked his bread, dark eyes challenging Ju's authority. "And what of the barbarians?" he asked, voice as cool as the glaciers up north. "Did you dispose of them properly or must we wage another war?"

Ju shook Lihua off his arm, taking a couple steps forward to his Emperor. "I killed the leader," he said, monotone about death like it was an everyday occurance. In a way, it was. Ju had led many military expeditions, and had killed brutal leaders that led uncouth armies. "His army surrendered right after. The remaining soldiers are being chased down as we speak."

The Emperor nodded, a smile playing on his thin lips. "Perhaps you would have been a better general than an Emperor."

"I am honored for the opportunity to lead an army, Father."

"Dismissed," commanded the Emperor with a wave of his hand.

Lihua was already out the gates of the main hall, but Ju still had questions swirling in his mind like an ongoing echo that haunted him every night.