I Remember Years Ago

This is a request for @WriterGirlme

Prompt: I am a Ravenclaw and he is a Hufflepuff. He got expelled but our families were friends so we were always in contact. Now he works for the Ministry and I am a writer. Since he was writing a book, I help him write it and realize I am in love with him and he does too which we should have realized a long time ago but never did. Theseus and Leta help us to realize it in some way.

~~

"Don't go," you pleaded, clutching Newt's scrawny wrist. "Please. You're my best friend."

Newt looked away sadly, chewing his lip to keep the tears brimming in his eyes at bay. "I'm sorry, (Y/N)," he said softly. "There's nothing I can do."

You grabbed his shoulders, holding him firmly to the spot. He couldn't leave you. Not yet. "No, I don't accept that. We can appeal to the board, I'm sure Professor Dumbledore-"

"Professor Dumbledore did all he could, (Y/N). I'm expelled. For good." He shrugged your hands off his shoulders, turning away and bracing his hands against the windowsill. You could see the tension in his back and biceps, built up like a canon waiting to explode. Hogwarts was his home, it always had been. For him to be expelled... you knew it was devastating to him.

You placed a hand on his shoulder blade quietly. "What are you going to do?" You breathed, trying to memorize the feel of Newt's skin under your fingertips. "Where will you go?"

"Not home," Newt laughed bitterly.

You frowned. "Don't say that."

Newt sighed, settling onto his elbows. "I don't want to go back. My parents..." he swallowed, adam's apple bobbing. "I don't know how I could face them after this. In their eyes I've ruined the family."

You gently tugged on Newt's shoulder, pulling his attention to you. You wanted to tell Newt he was wrong, that his family wouldn't judge him, compare him to his brother behind his back, remember him as the failure of the family. But you couldn't.

Instead, you just wrapped your arms around his shoulders, letting him release all of his sadness into your shirt as you held him for the last time in a long time.

~~~

You fidgeted nervously next to Leta as you stood outside of the speakeasy bar in Manhattan. Tonight would be the first night you saw Newt- besides years of writing letters- since you both left hogwarts.

"It'll be alright, (Y/N)," Leta said soothingly, placing a hand on your shoulder. "He wants to see you."

"I guess... it's just been so long. Aren't you worried it's going to be awkward? You are engaged to his brother." You hesitated.

Leta dismissed you with a wave of her hand. "Newt and I were a long time ago. We're both past it. I love Theseus, and, well... he's interested in someone else."

You frowned. "Really? It's not that auror from the ministry, is it? Newt told me about her last week in a letter... she seemed awfully rude."

Leta smiled, an amused twinkle in her eye. "No, it's not her," she took your hand and led you to the hidden entrance to the speakeasy. "Stop worrying and let's go!" She pulled her wand from the folds of her dress and tapped on the door. A small slit opened just above your head and two small, beady, glaring eyes looked out at you.

"Password?" The voice grumbled.

"Toadstools," Leta replied, her eyes glancing to you.

The door swung open, scents of whiskey and heavy perfume floating out to tickle your nose. "No shouting, spitting, spellcasting, sniveling, or suspicious behavior allowed."