Sides of the Same Coin

I tap my pencil on the paper, making clusters of dots instead of writing anything down. Realizing class was nearly over and this essay was due on Monday, I try to reread the poem, analyzing it. Nothing makes sense, so I place my pencil flat on the desk and prop my arm up, resting my head on it.  I stare at Vincent, who's diligently working on annotating the poem. 

How can I breakup with him? Why am I? Oh, right...

Still, it felt like I had another reason. I've always known that Mr. Miller didn't like me, but I never listened to him. I didn't let his glares or remarks stop me from going to Vincent's house or even from buying him a Christmas gift. Somehow I already had this sinking feeling inside before I agreed with Mr. Miller to break up with Vincent. I just don't know why. 

"Am I that handsome from behind too?" Vincent asks, still facing forward. 

"H-how did you know?" I ask, flustered and sitting straight again. 

"I took a guess, but now I know you were staring at me," Vincent turns around, smirking. 

I smile back, looking carefully at Vincent and memorizing his cute expression. 

"You didn't write anything yet?" Vincent hold up my copy of the poem in surprise. "You don't understand it?" 

"Not really," I sheepishly admit. 

"Just copy mine," Vincent suggests, quickly grabbing his paper and slapping it onto my desk. Everyone looks over, including the teacher, who narrows her eyes at us. 

"It's fine. I'll just work on it at home," I shake my head, putting the poem into my backpack. 

"But that means we won't go out this week," Vincent complains, sliding his poem closer towards me. 

"I'll write the essay tonight then," I suggest. 

"But then you'll be tired tomorrow," Vincent continues to pout. "If you're worried we'll get caught cheating, I'll write two different essays, so don't worry about it and sleep," he grins. 

"Thanks, but it won't take me too long," I reject. 

"Fine," Vincent gives in. "I was thinking we go eat Korean barbecue or maybe dim sum." 

"Actually, let's do something besides eating tomorrow."

Vincent's face turns into stone and he stares blankly at me. I freak out, thinking he might be upset. 

"What's wrong? Do you want to eat then?" I backtrack. 

Vincent doesn't reply and puts his hand on my forehead. 

"Are you feeling okay, Wendy?" he asks. 

"Yeah, why?"

"You turned down food. And not just any food. You turn down Korean barbecue and dim sum!" 

"I don't know. I just thought we could try doing something new," I explain. 

"What do you want to do then?" Vincent asks. 

"Um, well there's going to be a haunted house on Friday the 13th."

Vincent pauses again and looks at me with concern. "Are you sure you're feeling okay, Wendy?"

"I already said I am," I sigh. 

"You hate scary stuff more than anything. You're even scared to drive during October because people put out decorations on their lawn."

"I'm not scared anymore," I protest. 

"If we go, I'll probably have to carry you through the whole thing again," Vincent sighs, but his eyes suddenly widen along with a smile. "Is that why you want to go?"