Chapter 14

Hey guys!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 14

       There was a bus station about thirty minutes from my house, walking at least, and I was actually looking forward to some fresh air before being stuck on public transportation for an hour.

       Luce said she didn't want me hanging out with Rex again, before I 'went to bed', which only hurt my heart and head. I would have argued with her about it too, if dad hadn't stepped in and said he liked the boy.

       My dad saying he liked anyone besides Luce and I was different, but I wasn't going to argue. I highly doubted Luce was going to tell me not to hang out with Rex anymore after that. I mean, dad never even said he liked Tate—and Tate lived with us.

       I had to force down the bright smile pulling on my lips as I wandered down the deserted street. I felt guilty for being happy dad shot Luce's scolding down. She was the only one who ever cared enough to punish me. Honestly I felt like she was the only one who ever cared about me at all.

       It was late out, and so dark that slipping out of my window unseen and onto the roof before shimming down the porch railing had almost been too easy. Luce and Tate were still awake and watching some horror movie in the living room when I left, dad was probably sleeping, and I knew no one was going to check on me for the rest of the night. I was home free—for a while at least.

       The cold night air brushing across my face was a sweet relief from the heat of stress constantly scorching my cheeks. I lifted my face towards the sky and smiled before pulling Rex's jacket tighter around me. It still smelled like him, and I was the freak that kept lifting it to my nose to breathe it in.

       I had Rex Turner's jacket. And he said I looked cute in it. My stomach let out a wave of butterflies every time I reminded myself of that fact.

       My footsteps faltered when I glanced back and saw another person walking through the quiet neighborhood. My heart beat a little hard than was normal, my mind instantly jumping to insane conclusions. Breathe Rose. A lot of people that lived there jogged late at night or early in the morning. I shouldn't be nervous.

       This was a good area, dad made sure before he moved us here. He claimed that he had to get me away from all the bad that had been forced down my throat. He never could understand that I was all of that bad. I was all the things in the world that even God couldn't fix.

       I tried to shake my head of those thoughts as I turned towards the entrance of the neighborhood. The sound barriers that surrounded the area just within reach, before my eyes caught sight of that other walker quickly crossing the street.

       Okie dokie... That was a little weird.

       Relax, Rosalyn. It's fine, you're fine. Just breathe. You've walked these roads all the time by yourself and nothing's every happened. You're okay.

       I hurried quickly onto the sidewalk that led out of the neighborhood and towards the main intersection oh-so-far away—and out of the other walker's view. It's not like they would leave Briar Oaks. I was the only weird one walking to a bus station at ten o'clock at night.

       That was the only thought keeping the panic from forming in my chest and crushing me to the ground. I hadn't taken any medicine all day, and not because I didn't want to. Every time I reached for the bottle all I saw was Rex's glare and angry dark eyes. He would be disappointed in me. He... He wouldn't want to be my friend anymore.