Four || Not Cold

|| Not Cold

     "Jacy, sweetheart?" Doctor Dane poked her head into her daughter's room, seeing her seventeen year old on one half of the sofa, laughing but not at the tv that was quietly playing. "Jacy?"

     Jacy touched her jaw, softening her laugh to a small giggle. "Yes?" She pushed a piece of hair from her face, still smiling.

     "I wanted to let you know that tomorrow night one of the nurses from the hospital will be coming over with her son for dinner."

     Stiles was taking up the other half of the sofa. "Maybe it's Scott."

     "Melissa McCall," Doctor Dane replied, checking her watch. "Because I love you, I won't ask why you were there earlier." She blew a kiss, "Goodnight, I'm going to bed."

     "Night Mom, love you," Jacy said, her mother shutting the room door.

     "Does she know? I mean, about what you see?" Stiles asked, the stand up comic on tv continuing to go unnoticed.

     "She knows." Jacy got off the couch, grabbing a hoodie baring a U of M logo and pulling it on over her head. "I just don't feel comfortable talking about it. To her, at least."

     "Do you talk to your dad then?" Stiles curiously asked, still leaned back among the comfiest sofa he'd ever sat on before. Well, he couldn't actually feel it, but it seemed like it would be really comfortable.

     Jacy laughed, making an odd noise as she plugged in her phone to its charger. "No. Definitely not."

     Stiles thought that they were opposite; that she had her mother and he had his father.

     "Care to elaborate?" Stiles lifted an eyebrow at the girl.

     Jacy returned to the sofa, pulling a blanket over her legs absently. "After he called me a freak, we sort of stopped talking."

     Stiles' mouth fell open a little, "He called you that?"

     "Well, I can see things no one else can and he's a practical-living asshole. Those things don't exactly mix well." She didn't even seem that bothered. "I only ever got birthday cards since he lived off in Lansing for work and when he saw me for the first time in a while, it didn't go nicely."

     "I'm sorry." Stiles watched as Jacy covered herself more with the blanket. "Are you cold?" he asked, unable to feel temperature anymore.

     Jacy shook her head, the light of the tv illuminating her pale face dimly. "I'm fine."

     "Jacy."

     "I'm fine, Stiles." Jacy laughed lightly, "I'm not cold, don't worry. California's 'cold' is nothing to me."

     Instead of watching the stand up comedy special like Jacy, Stiles found himself looking at her.

     He couldn't help but think that maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

| |

     "You know what?" Stiles was lying on Jacy's bed, talking to her through the door that went to an en suite.

     "What?" Jacy asked, in the midst of getting ready for school. In light wash skinny jeans, she had on a scarlet red tank that flowed at her waist. "Enlighten me."

     "Once this is all fixed," Stiles hesitated, "once i'm fixed, you should hang out with my friends and I."

     Jacy inwardly laughed, putting on heeled ankle boots. "I'm not exactly fun to hang out with." Nearly done curling her hair, the pastel blue streak stood out.