~ S I X T E E N ~

I rushed down the stairs carrying Lane's baby bag and my back pack on my shoulder. My mother was holding Lane downstairs, letting me get the chance to make sure I had everything I needed. I ran out to my car and placed the bags in the back seat and ran back into the house.

I quickly threw a bottle together and heated it up. Once it was done, I gently took her from my mom's arms and sat out on the couch and began to feed her. She looked up at me with her big doe eyes sucking on her bottle. I smiled down at her and kissed her forehead.

"How has my little princess been, while I've been getting ready?" I asked with a baby tone to my voice.

She finished drinking and gave me a smile as she stared up at me. I gently picked her up and held her against my shoulder and lightly tapped her back making sure to get all the burps out. I stood up from the couch and gently bounced as I walked. My mom walked in holding a plate full of food making me remember that I hadn't eaten yet.

"Here, give me her, and you eat." She said taking Lane from my arms.

I sat back down on the couch and quickly began to eat the delicious food. I looked at the time and saw that I had to get going in just a few minutes. I finished up what I had and took my plate out to the kitchen and giving it a good rinse. My mother was singing lullabies to Lane as she rocked her in her arms. I walked back out to the living room and grabbed Lane from her.

"Alright, bye mom. See you later." I said with a smile walking towards the door.

"By honey, have a good day at school. Please be careful."

I walked out to my car and to the back seat and placed Lane in her car seat. She was reaching out for me with a sad look on her face. I smiled down at her and kissed her head, I walked to the driver seat and started on my way to the daycare.

I hate when I have school. I wish that I could just spend everyday with my little princess. Hell if I could, I would bring her with me to school everyday. I would hate all of the attention, but I would know that she was ok, plus I wouldn't miss anything.

I pulled into the parking lot and got out, walking to the back seat. She was just sitting there looking at herself in the little mirror on the seat. When she saw me she looked over and smiled at me. I gently unbuckled her and carried her in my arms, going to the other side and grabbing her diaper bag.

As I walked into the daycare she began to get very fussy. I looked down at her with a worried look on my face. She usually never gets fussy about coming here. Everything that I tried to make her calm down, wasn't working. I felt her head feeling that it was a little warm. That instantly made my worries rise even more. I was sitting inside the daycare with her in my arms, still crying. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and called my school.

"Hello, this is Axel Clemmings. I was just calling to let you know that I am not going to be able to make it into school today due to a doctors appointment."

Once I ended the call I walked over to where Elisha was standing. I explained to her that I wouldn't be leaving Lane here today, and probably not tomorrow either. She just nodded with a smile on her face and continued caring for the other kids.

I walked back out to my car and placed Lane back into her car seat and drove over to the clinic. She stopped fussing a little bit, but I could tell something was off with her. As I pulled up I watched as other people entered the building, looking sicker than every. I hate bringing her here. I feel like she is more prone to catching something here than she is anywhere else.

I parked the car and got everything ready, I gently picked her up again and brought her into the clinic. There was a line almost to the door of people waiting for their appointments. I let out a sigh knowing I should have called first. I pulled out my phone and called them, I smirked as I watched one of them pick up the phone and answer me.

"Hello, this is Axel Clemmings, and I'm calling to set up an appointment for my baby girl. She's got a fever and is quite fussy, I just thought that I should call and make one just to be sure that it's nothing serious." I said as I watched her smile into the phone.

"That is no problem dear. When were you thinking of scheduling it?"

"Do you happen to have any openings sometime today?"

"Um, let me check a second." She said looking at her computer screen. "It looks like there is someone open at the moment. Will you be able to make it here within five minutes?"

"I'm actually here already."

"Oh! That's wonderful. I'm going to need you to come up to the desk to fill out a few things, and then he will see her." She said spotting me in the line.

"Thank you so much." I said and made my way towards her desk.

She continued to motion me towards her, showing people that I could go up there. Once I reached she handed me a few papers and a pen. As I was filling them out she kept making baby faces at Lane making her smile, but she would get fussy again after a couple seconds.

"Alright, I'll give Dr. Martin a call and she'll be down here in just a second." She said with a smile.

I stood over by the waiting area, not trusting the chairs and the things they carry. Eventually a doctor came out with a smile and called out Lane's name, and I walked over to her.

"Hello, so this little thing must be Lane. Such a cute name by the way." She said smiling at my little princess.

"Yep."

"Alright, you can follow me this way." She said leading me towards the rooms.