Chapter Forty Two.

Dakota Aniston

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

By the time I was finished cleaning my car, I was a mess.

The green tank top I had been wearing was soaked through and I was painfully aware of how anyone that walked by would have a great view of the zebra bra underneath. Soap was dried and cracked on the skin of my legs and the ends of my hair, which was pulled into an unflattering bun, were wet and frizzy.

And I couldn’t even give myself time to be embarrassed over the fact that I had a huge, grass stain on the ass of my black gym shorts, before Ryan was strolling across the street and standing before me.

He gave me a lopsided grin. “Hey…” He trailed off, and I saw his eyes flicker down to my chest, before quickly averting to my face. A pink blush swept over his cheeks. “How’s it going?”

His voice cracked.

I chuckled under my breath. “Not so good.” I told him, and reaching down, plunged the yellow sponge in my hand into the crisp, soapy water at my feet, before bending over to swipe it across the hood of my car. “You see, I’m trying to clean my car, but by the looks of it, I’m the only one that ended up wet.”

It was too late before I realized my mistake.

Looking over my shoulder, Ryan’s face was now even redder. I cringed. “Sorry, didn’t mean for it to come out that way.”

He waved his hand, dismissing me. “Whatever. You need any help?”

I dropped the sponge into the bucket, before wiping the back of my hand across my forehead. “No, I think I’m good. Um, so what’s up? Did you need anything…?”

My voice trailed off, not because I didn’t want to talk to Ryan, but because I was confused as to why he was talking to me. The last I heard, he was still crushed over Stacey breaking it off with him, and I haven’t even really had a real conversation with him since the beach house.

And I knew he heard about what happened with Elijah, because everyone has heard about me and Elijah.

It’s been about three weeks since the last time I’ve spoken to Elijah and the sound of his voice, so heartwarming and beautiful and wonderful, was etched unwillingly into my brain.

I thought of him often. He still tries to contact me, but I refuse to let myself give into all of this. I know, whether I want to admit it to myself or not, I’m not ready for this. Ready to feel this way again.

So crazy and head over heels for him. So powerfully and magically in love with him.

It’ll bite me in the ass in the end.

But, even if I try to forget, he always pops up in my thoughts. I could be lying in bed, dozing off to sleep and all of a sudden, I’ll hear his voice in my head, as though he’s right there, singing right into my ear.

And it kills me.

I quit my job at the club, but Brian told me I could always come back if I wanted. I was thankful for that.

But, still, here I am, cleaning my car a day before school starts, wondering why Ryan is talking to me.

Ryan let out a bashful, awkward laugh. He scratches at the back of his head, his muscles taunt. “Just wanted to see how everything was going…and plus, I need some advice.”

“Ah, I knew there was something behind this little surprise visit.” I teased him. “And me? I’m doing okay…but, enough about me. What do you need?” I smiled at him, pointing a finger into his chest lightly.