XVIII

"I won't give up on useven if the skies get dark

even if the skies get dark.
I'm healing this broken heart
and I know I'm worthy."

Zari tried to keep her tears from rolling down as she was finally alone in her room. She knew she ran out of fear, but she couldn't allow herself to be so vulnerable. She closed her eyes and heard the door of her room open, she grabbed the knife from her belt and turned around. She lowered it quickly once she saw who was there, 'Elijah.'

'I've come to see whether you've changed your mind.'

Zari squeezed her eyes shut and she forced a smile, 'I have not, Elijah.'

He nodded and stepped forward, 'I thought you'd say that.' He linked his hand behind her neck and pressed her lips to his.

Zari pressed her mouth together, even though she wanted nothing more. Her chest ached and she was sure she'd loose the fight against her tears, but he pulled away once he realized she didn't kiss back. 'Go, Elijah.'

And she could see the pain in his eyes, 'My apologies, Za'Rijah.'

Her knees stopped functioning as he left the room and the tears started rolling down. Why did she let him leave? Why couldn't she just let her love be stronger than her fear?

***

'I'm actually kind of glad we're leaving,' Elena muttered quietly, 'I mean... we're literally in an assassin training camp in the middle of nowhere.'

Rebekah sighed as she turned her gaze away from her sulking brother, 'Zari wouldn't let anything happen to you.'

Jeremy walked inside, 'This guy said that the plane is leaving in an hour.'

'Zari grew up here.'

'We know that already, but please, repeat it again,' Rebekah snapped, sarcasm lacing her voice like venom.

'No... I mean... she grew up here... in an assassin training camp. She's lived here for so long, that explains so much.'

Jeremy frowned at his sister, 'What are you getting at?'

'Her fear to love, she was surrounded by assassins her entire life, they're not exactly the most loving people I can think of.'

Elijah cleared his throat, 'That's not the only thing, her father was a cruel man.'

'She told you about the arranged marriage too?' Elena asked him.

He nodded, 'And what he did to her when she said she didn't want to.'

'We should just leave, if she doesn't want to be helped... there's not much we can do. Get your things,' Jeremy muttered.

'No,' Elena argued as she remembered something out of the sudden, 'she said she ran away when she was fourteen. Which can only mean that she doesn't like being here.'

'Actually, our father send her away,' Nyssa cut in as she walked inside, 'he set her on a plane and dropped her on an island. He thought it was a good way to toughen her, it did, but it also made her realise that there was a whole other world out there. She hates Nanda Parbat, she likes to visit, but living here will not make her happy.'

'Why are you telling us this?' Rebekah questioned.

Nyssa shot her a sad smile, 'She's my little sister, I don't want to watch by as she throws away everything she's ever wanted.'

'You're going to help us?'

Nyssa grinned at Elena and bit her lip as she checked her out, making Elena blush a deep scarlet. 'Yes.'

'What do we do?' Jeremy asked.

'I'm afraid it will mostly come down to one person, you need to reassure her that everything is going to be alright. She needs to see you as a person, you need to open up to her. You need to tell her how you feel.'

Elijah glanced down at his hands, 'Those are not... things I do with ease.'

'If you don't want to lose her, that's what you need to do. It's the only chance you've got.'

Rebekah nudged her brother, 'Elijah... this is the time... you're not going to get a second soulmate. Maybe, she might still be our family's redemption. Mother was never going to love us again and she never will. But Za'Rijah might still become our light, or at least... yours.'