Chapter 1: Who are you?

30 November 1928
Berlin, Germany

November fades away with the smell of snow lingering on its dying breath. The last bit of warmth evaporates, bleak darkness finally spilling over with a rush across the world.

She is five-years-old, full of childish giggles and sunny smiles.

She is eight-years-old, solemnly aware of the dangerous hand fate dealt.

She is twelve-years-old, filled with fear the night they come for her.

Black uniforms meld with the frosty shadows, terrifying wraiths haunting the moonless night. They stalk down the street with a singular purpose and every living thing cowers before the unrelenting procession of death.

In the top floor apartment of a rundown building, two people move in silence through their dark home, wiping away all evidence of her existence. A bleak task, but one they knew would eventually come due.

Wearing a threadbare sweater, her heavy wool skirt, and soft leather boots, her heart beats wildly when he sets a tattered bag at her feet. All her worldly possessions now live in this small piece of luggage, a once hopeful life reduced to whatever she can carry on her back. Her father kneels before her, helping her slip on a worn black coat and even in the icy darkness of their home, sweat drips down his face. He wipes it away with an impatient hand, his calloused skin catching the grey stubble lining his hollow cheeks and she thinks – he is not an old man.

This is what she's done. This is her fault.

Shaking fingers fumble with the final button and he glances up, meeting her terrified gaze. All her life, he's been her one source of comfort, a safe harbor in the wild storm of their lives. Through it all, he's held his fear at bay, but that time has ended. Tonight, she sees the hopelessness in his heart and horror claws up her throat. She knows what comes next.

His trembling fingers dig deep into her thin shoulders. They shake so much, it rattles her small frame and she grips his elbows to steady them both.

"We're out of time. Out of options. Please my love, you must."

"I can't! Don't make me," she begs frantically, "please, I don't want to, don't make me, please!"

This is the darkest day of his life.

Deep in his heart, he always knew this was how their journey together would end. From the moment he understood he's planned for it, and if there was another way, he would take it. But this is the cruel world in which they reside, and miracles belong to another time.

But the heart is a curious thing. It won't go down without a fight.

Before all is lost, he drags every memory to the surface, sears the images straight into his soul. Squeals of laughter as he chases her through a leafy green park; the feel of her small sweaty hand her first day of school; awe in her eyes when she saw the endless blue of the ocean. Memories flare white-hot and he drinks them down with agonizing pleasure. Gazing into his daughter's tear-stricken face, his heart beats with the one truth he will always remember.

Love like this, was worth the cost.

"I know you don't want to, I know it's hard, but you must. You must. Do it and hide, just like we practiced. Wait until it's quiet and then count to one thousand before you come out – take your bag and run. You remember the route?"

"Yes," she whispers, swallowing down her tears with a tiny hiccup. "I remember."

She always remembers. It is the others who won't.

"That's my brave girl," he praises hoarsely. "Now, I need you to listen very closely, I need to tell you something. Are you listening? No matter what happens, you need to remember one thing – I will always love you. Do you understand me? Always and forever. This kind of love, it never forgets. It never leaves."