14. so far (it's alright)

this song, this video, it's so so cute and also what I'm drawing inspiration from for this chapter.
———————————————————
Matty leapt into Kat's room the following Sunday morning, her day off that week, and jumped on her bed while she was sleeping.

"Kitty!" He squealed as he continued to bounce, she groaned and swatted her arms out. "Kit, I need your help." He pushed down on her body and she let out a load groan.

"What." She mumbled, he grinned. She looked so good in the morning.

"It's Alice's birthday tomorrow and I need to get her something. Can you come to the city with me?" He asked, she couldn't think of anything worse than shopping with Matty for his girlfriend.

"Order it online." She suggested, he just laughed.

"No. You're coming. Come on, I'll be downstairs." He kissed her head and exited her room. What had she got herself into?

Half an hour later, Kat was downstairs with unbrushed hair. Matty was in the kitchen but skipped out just as she reached the hallway, perfect timing as always.

"Stunning." He threw his arm around her and they walked out the house. The first thing she noticed was that his car wasn't out there.

"Where's your car?" She asked, he bit his lip.

"Alice is borrowing it for some birthday thing with her friends. We are gonna have to take the train." He admitted.

"She has other friends?" Kat gasped, Matty nudged her.

"Fuck off" he muttered as he guided her in the direction of the train station.

The train was quiet, there weren't many people on it. Matty sat next to Kat, she had expected him to sit across from her but instead he had chosen to corner her. She watched his hands fidget for the first ten minutes while he stared out of the window.

"I hate that you can't smoke on a train" he muttered, she squinted her eyes at him and placed a hand over his to stop them from shaking.

"You've been smoking a lot recently." She pointed out, he looked at her and she saw the desperation in his eyes. She brought a hand to his face and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Just a distraction from other things, you know, that I'm trying to not do a lot of." He strung out as if he didn't want to talk about it.

"That's good. Any particular reason why?" She pushed, he looked down at his lap and shrugged. He couldn't tell her the real reason, it would cause too many questions.

"Alice." He lied, she nodded. He put his hand on her leg and rested his head on her shoulder, sending a very mixed message. "Is it wrong that you're my favourite person?" He asked, she let out a laugh.

"Yes." He chuckled and put his feet up on the chair across from them. "You know she should be." She added.

"Why? I could say my mum is my favourite person and no one would bat an eyelid." He defended, she shook her head and looked out the window.

"That's because she's your mum. It's platonic." She pointed out, he shrugged.

"We're platonic." She just laughed. He pursed his lips cheekily.

"Not when you kiss me." He kissed her cheek, defeating the whole point of this conversation.

"Platonic kisses kitty kat." His new favourite excuse. Just shove a platonic in front of it and that makes it okay. She pushed his face away and shook her head.

"You're cheating on Alice every time you do that." She said quietly, he stared at her and wondered why she was saying all of this. He reached out and pulled her face towards him.