22. i like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it

Kat was sat at her dining room table. She'd just made herself a cup of tea and had her work laptop sat in front of her. She had set herself work to do for the night and then she was going to see how far away she was from her goal in order to travel just as she planned. With all the drama in her life recently, she was hoping she could leave a bit earlier.

Her phone was sat on the kitchen top, untouched for a few hours. She didn't assume anyone would need her, they never really did. Starting her work, she typed away as the rain started outside. It distracted her slightly, she loved the rain.

It was beautiful, the crackling sound it made on her skylight window that she had placed for this sole purpose. She closed her eyes, sipped her tea and enjoyed the moment. It was as if she knew there was something coming.

A bang on the door soon made her eyes open. She frowned, cussing under her breath before standing up. The person kept banging and banging until she got there.

"Jesus, alright. I'm here." She said as she opened the door. Stood there, was Matty. He had eyeliner running down his face from where he had either been in the rain or crying and his whole body was sopping wet. "Matty." She gasped, he started to cry in front of her so she pulled him in and hugged him as she shut the door. "Matty?" She asked as he clung to her for dear life. He smelt like alcohol which answered a few questions already.

"I-just-I" he hyperventilated against her, she let him stand with her in the hallway and hug her tightly as she stroked the back of his hair.

His head snapped back sharply, his eyes were dilated so far that you could hardly see his chocolate eyes. Kat tried to hold his face in focus but he kept shaking it, his face showing that he wasn't intending on doing this. He rubbed the skin under his eyes again before letting out a loud sob in frustration, she grabbed his face and pulled it down so their foreheads were touching.

"Shhh, it's alright" she whispered, his knees started to bend from weakness and ended up dragging her down to the floor. They sat there for a while, he cried while she stroked his hair and said nice things in his ear. She knew he was just high and drunk and would fall asleep pretty soon.

"Mmmm, Kat" He removed his head from her shoulder and wiped his eyes roughly, the black eyeliner smudging even more.

"Why do you have eyeliner on?" She asked, he looked at her as if she should know.

"We..guitar...show...I thought..." his words came as a long string of sounds. She decided it was probably best not to ask him any more questions so she just hugged him again. He clung to her as if she was going to disappear any second.

"Matty, come upstairs and we can sort you out" She whispered, he went quiet which she took as an okay and they stood up. She held his hand as they walked up the stairs to her room. As soon as she sat him on the bed, he fell backwards and threw his arms over his head.

She grabbed a packet of makeup wipes and pulled him up to a seated position, there were no emotions behind his eyes. Standing in between his legs, she pushed his head back and started wiping away the black stains.

"Why am I like this?" He croaked, Kat shook her head and refused to answer such a stupid question.

"You're you, Matty. You shouldn't want to be anything else." She had no context surrounding his question but for some reason her answer just fit perfectly.

"We played a show." He mumbled, "I told George to invite you." She held his face in her hand as she wiped the relentless liner.

"He must have forgot." She excused him, knowing it was nothing out of spite.