Chapter Twenty-Nine

TANIA

A discrete knock sounded at her door, as if the person didn't want to disturb her but had no choice

A discrete knock sounded at her door, as if the person didn't want to disturb her but had no choice. She should have been up already, she knew, but the apathy that had dogged her before she came here was rearing its head despite her best effort.

She wanted to burrow into the very comfortable mattress and let the world forget about her, but knew there was no chance of that ever happening. The foul accusation one of the Oracles had aired was still vivid in her mind, as was the tense stilted discussion that had followed.

Nothing had been resolved. The hours that had passed had only managed to bridge the gap even further. The worst part was that the Alphas all insisted she and her siblings all stay. When Ben had persisted, Lex's uncle Devon had bluntly told him that the Moon had placed them under the care of their particular alliance, if he had a problem with that - too bad.

The Alpha had gone on to say that if Ben were stupid enough to run away he'd be dragged back, in chains, if necessary. That had effectively shut her belligerent brother up.

Turned out that even though they were going to be under Alpha Darius' immediate authority, the other Alphas had a say in their lives. Thanks to the threat their mother posed, the Alphas were going all out in their protection. Or maybe just to keep tabs on them.

Nia and the others had sat silent, watching as the alliance tore into each other,  knowing they were the cause. Werewolf society survived by having groups of aligned packs to hold off, not only the threat of the occasional rogues but that of the other mythkind races.

Whilst there hadn't been much friction beyond the mistrust between them, the other races were more likely to war with this alliance because of Nia and her siblings. Nia was slowly realizing what a threat they represented, even if they never became all that powerful.

But the goddess had said they were powerful and Huehuecoyotl had insinuated as much. Which meant she had to dig in. No more hesitating, no more waffling, no more lying in bed feeling sorry for herself.

Resolute, she threw the bedsheets off and marched to the main door of her suite clad only in one of Lex's shirt. Half opening the door she hid behind it as she peered at the person outside it, not at all comfortable being seen in her half naked state.

A girl she'd never seen before stood  in front of her with a hesitant smile. "Hie," her voice was quiet, musical. "I'm Adelyn, your beta. May I come in?"

Wait, she had a beta? The girl appeared to be a couple of years older than her, so she couldn't have found her mate yet. Wasn't her beta supposed to be the mate of Lex's?

"I'm the only child of the Beta couple so the tittle is mine and my mate, whoever he is, will be Lex's beta." She explain as Nia just stood there blocking the door.