A Friend

I am forever sorry, guys. I don't even know what happened. Writer's block sucks ass.

Everything I do is watched by someone. It's pissing me off something awful, and I know it must be obvious to everyone around me.

"Hey, stranger. What's going on?" Emilie questions as she makes her way around the set and finds me sitting there.

I turn to watch as she sinks down beside me, setting a broom down in front of her. Then, I sigh and let my head fall back onto the wall.

"People are assholes," I comment, making her chuckle.

"You can say that again." She agrees, nodding as she bends her knees up and crosses her arms over them.

"I'm not trying to be rude, but why are you talking to me? You don't even know me." I ask, picking at the tears in my jeans.

"Yet." She corrects, "Look, I'm obviously not trying to get in your pants again now that you're with someone. I just figured you could use a friend right now."

"You've heard the rumours?"

"Are they true?"

"Depends on what you've heard," I mutter, cautiously watching the end of the wall we're sitting against as the teacher's voice becomes audible behind us.

"You're in love with someone." She answers when the voices fade away, "Lucky."

"Unlucky." I correct, "If I weren't in love with her, we wouldn't be in the situation we are now."

"You wouldn't say that if you really loved her."

"I would if it meant she might get arre- in trouble with her parents."

She doesn't seem to pick up on my stammer as she glances at the edge of the wall before up at me.

"What are you gonna do? They're not gonna stop until they find out who it is. You know that, right?" She questions curiously.

"What are you suggesting?" I frown, looking down into her pale blue eyes.

"Check it out with whoever it is you're in love with, but you might want to pretend it's someone else. You know, to throw people off. It might stop her parents from finding out." After a pause, she adds in a hushed tone, "I don't mind pretending if you need it."

I sniff harshly as I think. It could work, but just how far would her pretending go? I'd have to make sure Camila was comfortable with it first and seeing how possessive she gets, I'm not sure if her answer will be one of agreement.

"I'll think about it. Thanks, Emilie." I simply reply as I stand and make my way back into class.

I just hope this girl doesn't have any hidden motive.