Chapter Forty Three- like a baby

" I saw he was loved out of pity,
  The worst kind of love there is.
  To keep a hold on someone,
  Because you think they're weak "

Iris's P.O.V.

Nine pm and I heard the front door of the house open.

  I was in the kitchen blending some fruits to make a smoothie when Dylan walked in.

" Hey babe. Where's Louisa?" He came up to me and kissed my forehead.

" She slept early, I think her dance class was too stressful today"

  He chuckled at my response and moved straight to the refrigerator to grab an ice cream bowl.

" Dylan? Don't even think about running, you promised" Hunter's voice preceeds his presence before he appeared.

  We maintain eye contact for less than a second before he looks to his cousin.

" Chill out dude, I promised and I don't fail" Dylan said as he shoved an overfull spoon of ice cream into his mouth.

  Hunter only scoffed and walked out.

And as usual, ignoring my presence.

It took every muscle to hide how much this affected me.

" Iris is there something going on that I don't know of?" Dylan asked with a voice of confusion.

" What? No.. why do you ask?" My voice trembled though I suspect it isn't obvious.

" So is it normal for you and Hunter to not talk for days? Or you guys just choose to talk when I'm not there"

  I laughed at his statement and poured myself a glass of my blended mix.

Normal indeed.

" There's simply nothing to say" I sipped my banana and strawberry smoothie and savoured it's lingering taste on my tongue.

" Iris in case you haven't noticed, you're almost tearing up. Your voice is even wavering"

  Only when he said it did I feel a tear drop ride down my face.

  I really don't know what is wrong with me! Even the day Hunter does nothing he still manages to hurt me badly.

" Dylan I don't know" I keep my glass back on the surface and use my both hands to cover my face.

I feel stupid.

" Just talk to me, what exactly is wrong?" His voice now behind me and he proves it by placing a hand on my shoulder.

" I don't know Dylan! I really don't know, I'm just.. it's just... Arrgh, I have no idea what is wrong with me" I pull at my hair in frustration and more tears slip.

" When did this all start?"

From the moment I discovered something I never expected to.

" I don't know"

" Iris you're confusing me" he scrunched up his brows and stared at my face.

" I think I just need to sleep" I wiped my eyes and try to smile but failed woefully.

" I'm gonna kill Hunter. I swear-"

" Hunter did nothing"

For the first time.

" Huh?"

" Dy, goodnight" I hugged him briefly before leaving the kitchen with my barely touched smoothie.