32 | We Got This

Semaj's POV

"Did you ask him about the damn ring yet 'Maj?" Lina asked as she sat across from me at Benny's. "Its been two goddamn days."

I pulled the cup from my mouth, swallowed, and kissed my teeth. "What am I supposed to say Lina? Hey we were playing truth or dare and I got dared to get a tatto so Lina was going through your top drawer to get your spare key and we saw an engagement ring, is it mine?"

She gawked at me and rolled her neck, "uh yeah!"

"What if it is mine? Then we ruined the whole surprise and everything for it. What if he had something set up romantically to ask me? That would be completely shot to the ground if I tell him we found it. And he might even get mad."

"So what if he gets mad? You needa know," then she mumbled but I heard her. "I need to know."

"Michael and I's relationship and life has been perfect these last couple of weeks. I am not going to ruin that with an argument because you couldn't sit down and stop going through his drawer. But If the ring is mine then I will gladly accept."

Lina paused, looking at me with wide eyes. "Are you forreal?"

"Yes... why that look?"

I reached for the basket of fries we were sharing and grabbed some, but then I thought about the sweat pants I was currently wearing and dropped them back down with a disappointed sigh.

"Cuz we only eighteen and you and Mike only known each other for what? Eight months, since December of last year and y'all didn't make it official 'till when?"

"January. We're coming up on seven months."

"Exactly, seven months and if he proposed you was gon accept that proposal?"

I nodded, sipping on my water. "Without any hesitation."

"Ain't that too fast?"

"How? People get married in less time than that."

"But not at eight-fucking-teen. Had you been pregnant I woulda been like okay cool, but you finna go off to college Maj. We two days from the fourth of July and ain't you say the move in date for freshman was like the second or third week of August? You only got like a month left here. You and Mike gon get married in a month?"

"Or maybe we'd wait a year and get married next summer. Listen Lina I hear your concern and I understand it, but you would have to be in this relationship to understand why Michael and I aren't like ordinary couples."

Lina rolled her eyes. "How are y'all different?"

"You love Tucker?" I asked and she nodded her head. "You ever love him so much that it hurts beautifully?"

She frowned and flatly replied, "no. The fuck? Love isn't supposed to hurt."

"I am not talking about painfully or emotionally stressing. I said beautifully. The way I feel for Michael cannot be put into words, but I'm going to try." It was silent between us as I tried to collect my thoughts to explain to her what I really meant. "Michael and I have been through a lot. Some things that people don't ever experience or don't experience until they've been married for years. We made it through exes, crushes, parents, a pregnancy scare, a shooting, all while trying to find ourselves and figure out who we were and what we wanted. And there's a lot of things we've done wrong over the course of these seven months, but one thing I never felt was wrong was loving him. And I know he would never take back loving me. I love him to the point where if he walked in here and asked me to go down with him to the courthouse right now I would do it no matter what anyone would say about it and you know why? Because I don't give a damn what anyone has to say about it. Its me and my man in this. No one else and whoever doesn't like it can go and kick rocks.