3.7

•- Laine Bennett -•

I'd never been part of any corporate company. My working history would only show the jobs I worked to make it through college those fateful four years.

So as I stand with my closest friends around a Christmas decorated room, you can guess how joyful the entire atmosphere felt.

I forced Mahalia and Brent to help me earlier today with the decorating and we were without a doubt proud. I had already done the basic decorating earlier this month, but we had to bring in tables and all other party necessities that I can't be bothered to list.

"We've outdone ourself my dudes," Brent says, tipping his eggnog filled cup in Mahalia and I's direction, "And to that, we drink!"

We all pull our cups to our mouths and sip the liquid. I was looking around the room and enjoying the sight of happy employees who were talking amongst friends with their loved ones.

But someone, a certain Scrooge if you will, wasn't in sight. I'd seen him earlier when he complimented Brent, Mahalia and I for our work as well as friendly conversations with others but after that it was like he fell into a void.

"Maybe you should go check on him, Laines," Mahalia whispers, making me jump at the sudden closeness.

"Who?" I ask innocently.

She rolls her eyes and nods discreetly to his door. "You have to give him the keys to the building anyways," she raises her eyebrows suggestively.

I ignore her suggestiveness and focus more on the reality of her words. "I guess so."

I take one last glance at his door before downing the rest of my drink and handing the cup to Mahalia.

"If I'm not out in ten, call the police."

She jokingly salutes and I make my way to the intimidating door. Reaching under my desk, I rummage through my belongings and grab his eyes to the building that needed returned.

I don't bother knocking since Christmas music was playing from the stereo in the main area.

I peak my head in and see him at work just as I expected.

"Wow. I expected so much more of you. And yet here you are, being the Grinch. Tsk, tsk," I scoff, drawing his attention away from whatever had him so focused.

A soft smile forms on his face as he sets his pen down in front of him. "I don't do parties without cause," he raises an eyebrow as I carefully step in and latch the door behind me.

I wasn't going to break his privacy rule just to hand him a set of keys. I was a little more polite than that. Even when it came to Austin Wood.

"I think it has plenty of a cause. You're simply showing your employees you have a Christmas spirit"

He rolls his eyes as I toss the keys in his direction. He easily catches them and sets them beside him on his desk.

"Such tone, Miss. Lainey Bennett. You make me seem like a dick."

I scrunch my face up as I carelessly begin walking around his office. I'll only get to see it a few times so obviously I'll soak it up as best I can.

"Doesn't take me to do it, Sir," I reply before realizing what I'd said. my eyes frantically widen as I silently scold myself.

I awkwardly clear my throat and turn away from him. It was a word I didn't use on a daily basis, especially with Austin but it just rolled off the tongue so easily when I'm around him.