Chapter 14: Blood Shed in War

*Elvis's POV*

It had been a week and a half since we had gotten to Korea and it seemed as though it had been longer. We had killed who we had to and done what we needed in this war; and yet it seemed so... endless. It felt like I had been trapped here for years, fighting for a way out and yet I couldn't find one. Not only was I stunned by the lose of some of our men, but I hadn't been able to see Ann since we had gotten here and it made me a little anxious. I overheard some Italian men talking about how the churches were being blown up where the nurses were recruited. That could have been Ann's church.... And as crazy as it sounds, I had to keep telling my self to stay optimistic as the days seemed to drag on. And I scooped back into reality as me and the other soldiers rested at our main spot where we had been assigned to stay once before...

The sun soon fell and the moon's glow became our only light source. Red had fallen asleep a few hours ago, and Frank was tossing small pebbles along the ground with a hand gun in his fist. He decided it was best to stay fully prepared and alert. Jerry Lee and I were wide awake as well; afraid to fall asleep. You never know what might happen, and whatever would happen, we wanted to be awake for it.

I let out a sigh of contentment as I watched the stars in the sky twinkle brightly through the busted window of the rundown building. Jerry Lee must have been admiring them too because out of random he said, quietly, "They're beautiful - ain't they?" I smirked with my eyes never leaving the stars and nodded. "Yeah," I mused, "They sure are."

"Y'know its kinda funny." he told me, "You never realize how beautiful the little things are until you know that there's a chance you won't ever get to see them again... Its like a wake up call." I nodded at his deep words. He was absolutely right. You never know what you have until you might never have it again... And Ann was one of those things. The thought of me dying before I could tell her how much I loved her, drove me a bit insane. It broke my heart almost to know that I wouldn't get to see her again; her and my parents anyways. Sure I would have left her with a kiss to remember me by, but I wouldn't get to explain how much I truly had fallen for her. She needed to know it. I was truly in love.

My train of thought spun right off track at the piercing sound of a gun fire against the walls of the building. It seemed as though it were a natural practice as we all shot to our feet. Quickly, everyone loaded up and got ready for war. This was it...

*Ann's POV*

I carefully walked into the room where the injured men lay and examined them from the doorway as they slept. They seemed so exhausted and weak. How could the world be so cruel? Instead of spreading love and peace we were spreading gun shells and lifeless bodies. I let out a soft laugh at the thought and leaned against the doorway. These poor men, I thought to myself. I decided that I better let them sleep before any of them had woken up, but I was a little too late. As I went to leave, there was a voice that stopped me.

"Nurse?" the Italian accent called to me quietly; obviously trying not to wake the other men. I turned around to the room to see a young Italian man sitting up in his bed with his arm in a sling from his earlier wound. To be honest, he was rather handsome. He had dark hair that was styled in a parted comb over, dark brown eyes that seemed to sparkle, and soft, tanned skin. I pulled on a gentle smile to him. "Did I wake you?" I asked him apologetically. He smiled, revealing the dimples in his cheeks, - one being deeper than the other - and shook his head. "Uh, no, ma'am," he said, "I was only going to ask for, eh, a glass of water."

"Of course," I replied, "I'll get that for you." I left his presence and fetched him his glass of water from the other room that held years of food supplies.