28

Scalding hot water rolled down Arryn's back, leading her to suck in a sharp breath

Scalding hot water rolled down Arryn's back, leading her to suck in a sharp breath. She needed something to wake her up. Sleep had not been kind to her last night. Dreams of her flesh peeled from her body by rabids haunted her. Their soulless eyes mocking her as she screamed. Screaming that carried over into reality as she jolted from the bed. She was thankful she didn't wake Trinity beside her. She wouldn't know how to explain that she was terrified to go into the world that was supposed to be getting better.

Even after the shower, her eyes felt like weighted anchors. She wanted nothing more than to head back to bed and fall into a dreamless sleep, but she had work to do. In hopes that breakfast would bring her to life, she staggered downstairs in her groggy state. 

"You look like crap," Dante said. He sat at the table, lifting a spoonful of milk-less cereal to his mouth. The stubble on his face replaced by smooth skin.

"Thanks. Where's your pet?" Arryn asked, pouring herself a bowl of the stale cereal. The hard, circular crisps clinked against the bowl,

"She's not my pet." Dante rolled his eyes and let out a huff. "I don't understand why you hate her so much. She's a little tough on the outside, but once you get to know her she's really sweet. She can be a little clingy though."

You tell anyone about this little conversation and I will make your life a living hell. She shuddered at the thought. Savannah's words still haunted her even a month later. The cold look that had been in her eyes as she delivered the threat reminded Arryn of a rabid's hungry gaze as it consumed its prey.

Arryn took the bowl and sat beside him. "It's amazing how quickly your opinion changed once you found out she was hot. Weren't you scolding me for rescuing her in the first place? Now look, the two of you seem to be inseparable."

She wished she could tell him the truth, but Savannah intimidated her. Arryn feared what the repercussions were if she crossed her.

Dante opened his mouth to respond, but a figure appeared in the entryway. Savannah's brown hair had been pulled back into a pony tail. A plaid shirt clothed her torso, hanging open a little too much for Arryn's liking around the chest area.

"Morning," she greeted. Her face lit up as she looked over Dante in his tight-fitting shirt. She walked towards him, skimming her fingers over the sleek material of his top. She bent over, whispering something in his ear that brought a smile to his face.

Arryn scooped the last piece of cereal remaining and placed the bowl in the sink. "I'm going to go get ready," she announced. The two didn't look up at her.

The breakfast did give her a little more energy. When she returned to her room, she found Trinity still fast asleep in the bed. Her green teddy bear lay clutched between her arms, peeking its stuffed head out from underneath the covers.

The light from the rising sun helped her navigate the room. She packed a few medical supplies, snacks, and a knife she had slipped from the kitchen, leaving the rest of the bag vacant for supplies she found on the run.