5 - The Gallery

It's morning.

The sun shines, the birds chrip, there's not a cloud in the sky, and I am in a foul mood.

It was brushed over it rather quickly during dinner last night, but the prince is coming by today. An obligatory recovery visit... Of course it would not do if a man did not check up on his poor poisoned fiance... but I do not want him to come, for multiple reasons.

First of all, I am to face him in one of those gaudy dresses. Second, he will eventually discard me for the pretty heroine, likely with lethal consequences for me. Third... the third has to do with the previous relationship between us. The Crown Prince is a very patient soul. Of course, he doesn't like Lily and most noble girls...  as for the reason... well, it's me, obviously.

Other than Lily's chronic obsessive, possessive and stalkery behavior there is a single specific event that pushed him beyond his limits. Well... in short, Lily had clung on him so hard and desperately that she had ripped his shirt and left him bare chested. As Lily is, and was a girl he dislikes, this was likely a shock for the young boy. I have of course apologized for this when it happened... so there's nothing further I can really do to fix it. The best thing I can do for both of us is to keep a cool distance. Still, as he is usually gentle things should go... fine.

I unwillingly get dressed without making a fuss. A bad attitude when the crown prince is coming, is worse than the dresses themselves. As such, during this humiliating thing we will make a short mental interlude:

- Crown Prince Alstair Schwartshertz  -

In the novel he is always described as incredibly gentle, to the point he goes out of his way to get the Heroine used to the school after she transfers in late. He's always wearing a polite smile and puts in equal measures of energy into studying. He does quite well in sports too, only defeated by the guy who will end up being the future head knight. He is that kind of unrealistically written character. Still, I know this guy has a pitch black inside. If he was truly kind, then he wouldn't have his former fiance killed for bullying someone flirting with him. In other words, he holds grudges and takes revenge tenfold. As I consider that and our relationship till now, I feel dejected. Furthermore, this guy is not the worst guy I have ticked off.

Just for good measure, I'll present the rest of the brilliant and sparkly gallery of young men, that our beautiful and kind Heroine manages to charm:

-Eric Celeste-

First of all, my own brother, Eric Celeste. This cold guy was only second to the current head knight's son. Furthermore dishonest about his own emotions. Lily pushed him down the stairs.

-William Aerielle-

The oldest son of the current prime minister. An utterly emotionless person until the deer eyed heroine melts his heart and slowly teaches him to treasure the emotions he has locked away. As son of the prime minister he excels at his studies, and will in the future uncover any of my horrible money habits. At least he did in the novel. As for what Lily did to him? A few years ago Lily publicly humiliated him for crying at a birthday party. Apparently it became a trauma. A truly pathetic person.

-Soleil Listere-

Son of  Duke Listere. As a family formerly blessed by the faeries of light, their position near the throne is solid, and many of their children have married into the royal family. As such, the boy ended up self important and never looked at things below himself. Quite a lot like Lily. The Listere aren't blessed by the faeries of light anymore though, so he approached the heroine with that in mind. He ended up fully charmed, making him a complete go for the heroine and never judged for his 'sins'. As for what Lily did to this one? I can't quite remember. I think I compared him to the crown prince?

All of these I can deal with. My problem is with the last two:

-Gilbert Salender-

Son of Marquess Salender. This happy go lucky boy smiles and laughs a lot. Still...when Lily in the novel pushed the heroine down a flight of stairs, Gilbert found out and he had muttered to himself that he would give me a taste of my own medicine for touching the heroine. Of course the gentle heroine just barely managed to quell his anger. By the way, while he said those things, he was about to pull a dagger. There's a dangerous gap there I don't want to know more about, ever. The reason Gilbert hated Lily in the novel is because she slapped his cheek when he tried to 'get along with her'. According to Lily's memories it has already happened and she did it because he was a bit too friendly with his playfulness. More precisely, he hit her butt. I'll need to keep this in mind so I don't break his arm in response.

Finally my top enemy: 

-Lionel Tepet-

Son of the current head knight, the Marquess Tepet. Lionel also happens to be a closet sadist. It's such a waste. Why would you give him a personality like that you useless writers?! I mean, it's the future head knight! Even him being stupid would be slightly better! Well, as you can imagine, this guy is a pain to deal with. Let's just say that Lily was not in a good state when she was to be executed. Lily has not done anything to this guy directly, but since he is best friends with the Crown Prince it's pretty clear why he has come to resent me.

He really is a waste of a good character though. I admit I prefer warriors over talkers, which only makes me even more disappointed. Why the heroine lets herself be subjected to the things he does to her, and still falls in love with him, is beyond my understanding. I mean, in the book he does worse things to her than I do, but I guess, since it is in the name of love for her, it is okay.

All in all, it is a terrifying lineup, they are all equal or higher ranked than me, and all of them already dislike me. Of course, as long as I do not make things worse, and I stay far away from the heroine of the story, everything should be fine. In other words, other than Prince Alstair, and my brother Eric, I should be able to avoid contact with everyone else... for the most part.

Of course I will have to be prepared for plots against my family in case someone tries to frame me and get those men to get rid of me. The heroine is a good excuse to get me executed...

For now... I am finally in this horrid dress. It's time to end the interlude and head downstairs. The crown prince has arrived.