{29} I RECOGNIZE THAT I AM GOOD ENOUGH {29}

Wednesday, 5-16-18

I woke up surprisingly happily. It was Wednesday, May 16th, the last day of school. I sat up and stretched my arms out, before climbing out of bed and trudging to the kitchen.

"Morning, Perce," Mom greeted.

"Hey," I replied, smiling a little bit.

"You made it. It's officially a record: more than two years without being kicked out of school!"

I laughed. "Yay!" I said sarcastically.

Mom squeezed me in a tight hug, kissing my cheeks and nudging me into a chair. She put a plate with a towering stack of blue pancakes in front of me.

"Ooh, thank you, Mom."

She smiled. "Of course. I love you, sweetie."

"Love you too, Mom," I said, digging in.

After a delicious breakfast, I raced around my room trying to dress myself well. I didn't want to look like an idiot, being the only one wearing comfy clothes in a sea of nicely dressed students.

I settled on a pair of black khaki shorts and a plain navy blue tee shirt. I fluffed my messy bed head of hair up a little, eventually giving up. Then I pulled on some socks before leaving my bedroom. Hopefully I didn't need my backpack, because I wasn't bringing it.

I brushed my teeth in the bathroom, scanning my appearance. I decided I looked presentable.

Running back to the kitchen, I kissed my mom on the cheek and left the apartment.

"Be good, Percy!" she called.

I smiled, jogging down the stairs and out of the building. I sped to Annabeth's house, still in quite the good mood.

"Hey, Wise Girl," I greeted as she opened the door.

"Why, hello there, Seaweed Brain." She raised an eyebrow. "You look nice."

I grinned. "So do you. Ready?"

She nodded, stepping outside. We walked side by side to the school. I babbled on about random thoughts that came to mind, anything to avoid silence.

"Did you hear about Mr. Brunner?" I asked.

Annabeth shook her head. "What about him?"

"He's starting a summer camp, all based on Greek and Roman mythology. It's free to the public, although you have to be of school age to attend. I'm thinking about going."

"That sounds cool," she admitted. "Do you, like, spend the night?"

I nodded. "Yep. It starts June first, but I'll probably just spend all of the time that you are away there, so that I have something to do."

Annabeth frowned. "Why don't you spend time with our other friends?"

"Well, Grover and Juniper are going to be doing some sort of tour to bring awareness for endangered species, Rachel is going to England with her parents, and Calypso is going to Texas to visit some family. It'll be just me, basically."

"Oh. Who do you know that's going to the camp?"

"Beckondorf and Silena, Clarisse, the Stolls, and I'm sure many others." I paused. "The thing is, Mr. Brunner recommended I go. He wants me to be a sort of counselor and help out the younger kids."

She smiled. "That's exciting. I hope you have fun."

I glanced at her. Annabeth was staring at her Nike clad feet as she walked. She was wearing a grey tank top with a little cut out near her neck and jean shorts.