Chapter 21: Secrets (Part 1/2)

Sorry to leave you all hanging there! Totally wasn't enjoying watching you all squirm.

Totally.

Anyways, Cobs hit up #3 in Fantasy just in time for my birthday, so thank you for the glitchy present Wattpad~

And as usual, thank you all for reading this far! Hope you enjoy the third part.

—————

          Run

          Káel stood there, his mind screaming for his body to catch on to the snapping twigs behind him. It was close, whatever it was, but it had yet to actually reach him.

          He just had to run.

          A tremor of energy crawled through his body, the push to flee slamming against a strange wall of frozen nerves as his body didn't even twitch. He tried again, the same force squeezing his joints resounding with an unnatural pull.

          Run, run, run!

          He could feel his heart dip with the rollercoaster of emotions, picking up to a hammering pound as he came to a disturbing realisation. 

          His mind was racing into a chaotic mess, but the desire to flee screamed over all the other ideas.

          His legs were weak, but not enough to stop him from running.

          It wasn't fear binding him.

          "Káel, quick! Insanctious!" Phantom called, oblivious to the spell that had even sealed his lips from moving.

          Káel could only stare at Phantom in crushing silence, every inch of his skin crawling as the shadow passed his side. It felt exactly like the spell Ray had used on him to walk him through the doors of Cobalt, a sinister force drained of any comfort by sappy musk that hit his nose.

          The thing's shadow had stopped beside him, ducked into the cover of his peripheral as it laid in wait for something.

          But what?

          His thoughts were answered by the pounding pawsteps that approached, scraping claws rounding the final corner to the clearing as a single molve skidded to a stop. It took one look at the thing Káel so desperately didn't want to see, orange fire engulfing its body as a bone chilling roar rattled its throat. 

          Káel let out a breath of relief at the terrifying creature that had come to protect him. In that moment, bearing witness to the beast's shot at intimidation, safety was a thought fresh on his mind. But all at once the illusion was shattered, the shadow taking two steps forwards into the spotlight of Káel's view and freezing every vein in his body.

          Cloaked entirely in ragged black robes the towering humanoid didn't flinch at the molve before it, instead raising a ghostly white hand to snap its fingers, flicking its wrist to the side with a careless swipe. 

          Like a stringed puppet the molve was ripped from its position, flying into the closest wall with a cloud of white dust and pebbles to mirror the creatures small motion.

          Káel's heart stopped. His hope had been tossed to the side like dirty laundry, leaving him alone and vulnerable to whatever was standing in front of him. And the way it dressed and carried itself didn't leave much room for doubt in his panicked mind.