Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 3/3)

Truvius sat on his bed, still glued to the sight of his roommate in dumbstruck silence. 

          His disappearance had set the Breakers on a wild equaam chase, skimming the woods and halls well into the night after the spectacle he had caused. Truvius expected him to come back eventually, but curled into the embrace of a giant, fluffy white dragon that weighed down the bed with strained creaks was still a strange way to discover him.

          He slowly slipped out of his covers, tip toeing around the bed to get a better look at Puff's face, the dragon firmly hugging Káel to his stomach as the two of them slept the morning away. Both were unfased by Káel's dried and dirtied scrapes rubbing red into the sheets, the strange cry his dragon clock was letting off passed as a simple breeze to their exhaustion.

          Whatever had happened, Káel definitely wasn't going to be waking up in a good mood.

          With every shred of poise he had, Truvius carefully snuck back to his side of the room. One night hadn't given him much time to think about an apology, but he had spent a few hours past curfew writing out a letter. 

          Truvius grabbed one of the textbooks weighing his nightstand, a small slip of paper shuffled into his notes where only he could find it.

          With a couple touch ups it was bound to work.

          He settled onto the soft bed, grabbing his pen and barely pressing the nib against the paper before a knock rattled the door. He wasn't expecting guests, and Káel hardly had any friends that would visit their room.

          The knock came again, reminding Truvius that he'd zoned out staring at it instead of opening it.

          "Coming!" he replied, quickly stashing the letter and jumping off the bed.

          As soon as the lock clicked it cracked open for him, Sev popping his head in with a fierce squint as he scoured the room. As soon as his gaze rested on Káel and Puff he welcomed himself into the room, grabbing the whining dragon clock that settled to silence in his hands.

          "Well this is a real sight, " Sev said, his naturally booming voice causing Puff to stir. "You look like someone strapped you to an Equaam and dragged you down a gravel road. Fun trip newbie?"

          Puff let out a small moan, his mouth agape with a powerful yawn as he stretched his paws out, ending the morning ritual by giving the backside of Káel's head one giant lick. Káel stirred at the sensation, his eyes fluttering as he breathed out a ragged moan.

          "Ay the living dead has risen," Sev chuckled, rounding the bed to get a better view of Káel. With a couple minor healing spells his diagnosis was complete, Káel still coming to by the time he got up to give Puff an intense stare down. "You shorter than my waist fluff bucket? Cause I've got a stable with your name on it if I catch you this big indoors again."

          Puff let out a whimpering moan, sliding his arm out from under Káel and shrinking into travel size. The disturbance got Káel to stir again, ineligible mutters escaping his lips as Sev helped him out of the bed. 

          "Yer head's dragon's breath, good thing it ain't contagious," Sev continued, bracing Káel on his shoulder as he forced him to stand upright. "Lady Samanthra wanted to talk as soon as we found ye, but she's gonna have to meet you in the nursing quarters."

          Truvius watched Sev practically drag Káel to the door, his sluggish limbs and grunting responses giving away that he hadn't completely woken up yet. As their dorm leader reached the ajar door he tossed Truvius a curt nod, shrugging Káel back up onto his shoulder.