Chapter 4: The Mystery

Will didn't like how much Eleanora intrigued him. She was a mystery in a mystery. And he wanted the mystery solved.

He hated her for her stupid name. Everyone—especially Jem—started calling her Ella. It brought painful memories, and it hurt to look at her. She reminded him a bit of his Ella. Determined and caring both at the same time. She was only like that to Jem, though.

  She was barely interested when Tessa had changed, even less when she transformed back to herself.

  Now, at night, he silently opened his room door, only to see Eleanora open her's from across him.

  She looked at Will. Why was she awake? It was midnight now.

  "Of all the people," She muttered.

  "What are you doing up at this hour?" Will demanded.

  "I could ask the same of you," Eleanora said. "Are you going out to get drunk? Have a night with some women? Jem told me that was the excuse."

  "No," Will said carefully. "Neither of that."

  Eleanora studied him. Then she said, "you're going for Jem. To get yin fen."

  "You know about his addiction."

  "Of course I do. I'm going with you."

  "No. It's a far walk. I can't have your little legs giving out halfway. I will not carry you back to the Institute. Trust me, many ladies have tried that trick on me and failed to charm me," Will said, shaking his head.

  "You can't stop me from going," Eleanora said stubbornly. "I'll prove to you that I can make the walk. If my 'little legs give out halfway', you can leave me on the road. Deal?"

  Will narrowed his eyes at this girl. She was only at his eyebrows, her green blue eyes shining with determination and annoyance.

  She was honestly a sight to behold, with her bold crown of auburn hair flowing around her face, her back straight, a knife hidden at her boot. She wore a plain white dress which touched the ground. Like an angel, except that she had an expensive looking velvet red cloak that was clasped at her neck with a green emerald. It flowed to her feet, and the hood wasn't drawn up.

  "Fine," Will said, voice hard. "Come along now."

  The two both went downstairs. Will tried to outmatch her walking pace but she was relentless. Silently, they both headed out of the Institute.

  "You know, Jem spoke highly of you," Eleanora said. "He said that though you're harsh to everyone, he believes you're a better person on the inside."

  Will tensed. "Jem believes there's good in everyone."

  "No he doesn't," Eleanora said defensively. "Either way, Herondale, I think you're hiding something."

  Will scowled. "I'm hiding a lot of things."

  Eleanora looked up at him. "I see how you act around Jem. You're absolutely different around him." She then grinned. Will averted his eyes. "And to everyone else. . . it's like you're a sarcastic annoying brick of ice."

Will shrugged. "I've been called worse."

"Is it because he is dying?"

A muscle in Will's jaw twitched. He gritted his teeth. She was more observant than she let on.

"Stop asking me questions," Will said.

Eleanora eyed him suspiciously. Will consciously didn't look her way.