Prologue

Prologue

FAY

Putting on fake smiles for my boyfriend's grandmother was more complicated than I thought it would be.

Her wrinkled but still beautiful face squeezing up in delight, had guilt digging into the pit of my stomach as she gushed out. "You both look so cute together."

Melissa, Elroy's grand mother, looked like she was on top of the world, the pride and happiness shinning in her eyes was a huge contrast to what I actually felt.

"I never thought I'd see this day, but deep down I knew you both would make it work. You look perfect together." She smiled.

"We do, don't we?" Elroy's voice was so bright and cheerful as his arms tightened around my waist, bringing my body closer to his.

I didn't like the way his body felt warm next to mine, and the way I was too aware of his hand at the curve of my waist. My red dress pressed against his fitted suit and red tie. Melissa was also dressed in a beautiful red dress, and so were all the women at the event.

The big event hall was filled with high-class sophisticated people, celebrities, ranging from A-list actors to the most talented musicians and world class models like myself, all gathered together to celebrate—what was it again? I didn't know. It might have been a birthday or a fashion event, I wouldn't have known because my boyfriend only informed me about it a few hours ago, and told me to find a red pretty dress.

"I'm so glad you settled your differences; you have no idea how relieved your aunty was when she heard about your reunion with Fay." Melissa smiled at Elroy.

"Oh Melissa, as I told you and like I always will tell you, Elroy and I are madly in love; we might fight, and have the whole mini break up thing like last time, but we'll never separate for anything in the world. Right El?" I asked smiling up at a grinning Elroy.

"Definitely. I love you." He said, caressing my cheeks with his long pretty fingers.

"And I love you too." I responded, placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Oh my god. I feel like the happiest person in the world—I'm so happy, Elroy, Fay, you both make me so happy. I was so scared, the last thing I was expecting was to see you both coming through those doors together." Melissa said, eyes glistening.

It was the last thing I was expecting too. I hadn't seen him in three days after our argument at the Chesterfield mansion, the one that landed her in the hospital.

"Grand ma, you're always going to be happy. Fay and I will never make you sad again, I promise." Elroy assured her.

"Oh, I'm sorry my parents couldn't make it; I know I said they would be here, you know how they are with their vacations." I apologized on behalf of my parents, seeing as my boyfriend had told me on the ride here that he'd told his grandma that I told him my parents might be available for the event, just to get her to smile.

"It's okay! All that matters is that you're here." Melissa smiled.

I returned the smile politely.

"Grans, Fay, and I have to get going. Remember I told you about the Museum date?" Elroy said.

I looked up at him with an innocent frown. Museum date?

Another lie probably...

"Oh yes—I'll cover for you, don't worry." Melissa smiled.

Soon enough, we made our way to Elroy's car, and he politely opened the door for me. I smiled at him; getting into the car, I placed my purse on my lap, closing my eyes and counting to three as Elroy closed the door and walked to the driver's side.

Immediately he came in and shut the door; his facade faded, a hard frown creeping its way to his brows, and so did mine after I opened my eyes.

"Don't you ever," he said, without looking at me, his voice stony and venomous. "Ever in your life, or the next to come; kiss me."

The grip on my purse tightened. "Trust me. It'll never happen again," I said, without looking at him, and staring straight ahead.

"Good."

"Good."