Chapter 1: Dark Nights

She was running.

Running as fast as she could, she used her quirk to float over the rubble and avoid the fire. She could feel nausea, but she kept going. She ran past the burning and screaming bodies. Ran across blood-spattered concrete. Ran past the fights raging in the streets and inside the buildings.

She eventually came to the building she was running towards.

She stopped and started looking, she saw strangers but no faces she knew. Saw survivors but not the people who mattered most. Saw pets with no owners. Saw broken bodies, burning bodies. The smell alone almost made her vomit. She could hear screaming in the distance intermingled with explosions. She started asking random people if they had seen them.

No one had.

She looked up and knew that they were still inside. So, she floated up to the 7th story and smashed through the balcony window. The fire was intense, but not as intense as her desperation. She had to make it in time, she had failed so many times. She avoided the fire and got into the hallway but the smoke had filled almost the entire hallway. She started running down the hallway.

Room 712.

She kicked the weakened door in and ran inside. She stopped dead in her tracks at the scene before her. She had seen this before and knew she had failed.

Too slow.

Far, far too slow.

She fell to her knees and crawled forward, she desperately tried to lift the mass of rubble off those trapped. Her quirk was not enough. When it really mattered, she had always come up short. She screamed and kept trying until she could scream no more and just cried.

"I'm so sorry..." She repeated the words over and over again as she bowed her head.

She looked up eventually and screamed. The faces were inhuman, grotesque, and tortured. The skin was burned and peeling, the muscle beneath showing and fire where blood should have been. She could see the pain in their perfect eyes though and the ever-burning question.

"Why?"

She could always see it. Every time she saw it, she couldn't help but hate herself for not having an answer. So, she screamed and cried and pounded on the floor always saying the same words.

"I'm so sorry... Mommy... Daddy... I'm so sorry..."

The fire around her started to twist and dissolve and then she was kneeling in a blood-spattered alleyway. An alleyway she knew all too well.

"gods no... please... don't be dead... please..." she begged as she crawled to the person in blue and white armor.

As she got closer her hands met with a growing pool of blood, until eventually her hands and legs were covered by it. She got up next to him and turned him over, already knowing what she would find.

She turned him over and the lifeless eyes of Iida started back at her, blood gushing out of a hole in his neck. She desperately tried to staunch the flow with her hands, but the more she tried the more it gushed until it was swirling around her. A whirlpool of blood whipped around her, it forced her mouth open rushed into her lungs. All the while a long gone voice whispered in her mind...

"Why... Why did you let me die... Why...?"

She couldn't respond and felt her life ebb away until darkness covered her, suffocating her.

Then she opened her eyes, to a scene from hell. Fires raged across the ruins of a once vibrant and lush small mountain town, blood ran through gashes rent in the earth by giant hands, bits of trash and rubble lazily drifted through the air and fell from the sky, and the field of corpses stretched before her.