Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Lienna

I did not want to leave my room. I knew if I did, I'd have to face Loki and his terrifying truth and perhaps I'd also have to face bright-and-happy Thor and the other Chosen girls.

I also knew if I didn't, I could end up a bigger mess than I was now.

So an hour before supper, I got out of bed and dressed myself. Then I combed my hair and braided it. Finally, I carefully made my way to the dining hall.

Everyone was chatting around the large table, except for, thankfully, Loki. Luckily, dinner had not started, so my entrance was not an awkward one.

Fandral began to flirt with me, so I smiled and listened to his tales of grandeur.

"Ah, but precious Lienna, my favorite tale is the one when I met your father. Such a heroic man, slaying the Frost Giants..."

I tuned him out. My father was a sensitive subject for me.

Finally, we ate dinner. The meal was slow and quiet, and Loki was nowhere to be seen. I quietly thanked Odin for this.

As soon as dinner was finished, I was determined to get to my room as quickly as possible. I had plans to ride my horse away from the palace tonight, to perhaps camp under the stars.

I ignored Fandral and left behind Volstagg though I promised him we would talk. I was almost to the corridor that my room was in when Queen Frigga caught my arm.

"Are you alright Lienna? You're in such a hurry," she said.

I took a deep breath. Should I confide in the queen, though she might already know? "I... I'm not one to be around people often."

"Are you sure, dear?" Her voice was filled with suspicion.

"Well, I'd rather be riding horses than talking to people," I said. The truth was, I did enjoy conversing and dancing the night away. Riding was my second favorite and really my only other option because I didn't want to be bothered.

She nodded knowingly. "Loki is the same way. He loves a good evening ride." Then she winked at me. "Have a good ride."

"Thank you."

She smiled and hurried down the hallway. I rushed into my room and slammed the door. I stripped off the stuffy evening gown and searched through the closet for leggings and a tunic in my underdress. I wasn't one for riding gowns.

"Oh, well that's attractive." My heart stopped. Loki was in my room.

And I was in my underwear.

I stood there uncomfortably, my mouth not forming obscenities like it should be.

"Don't mind me, go on ahead," Loki said with a smirk, gesturing towards the clothing that still awkwardly wasn't on me.

"You're not going to leave?" I managed to finally squeak.

"Do you want me to? I rather like it in here..." he purred.

"By Odin's name, Loki! Can't you have some decency? Hiding out in my room?"

"Well, my dear, if it concerns you that much, I'll wait outside," he replied, sliding his hand down my arm.

As soon as he left, I groaned. What was I going to do? Loki obviously planned on following me around tonight. I pulled on my clothes and boots and braided my hair.

Loki was nowhere to be found when I left my room. Which meant he was waiting for me somewhere else. I sighed deeply.

Loki wasn't in the stables either. I found the horse that had been set aside for me and I mounted her. She was the color of midnight, with a flowing mane. I, being very original, named her Midnight.