-Chapter 37-

I open my eyes, it's Friday; day of the funeral. I roll out of bed and shuffle to the shower after I dry and curl my hair. I open the garment bag and smile at Pepper's excellent taste, it's a long simple black dress with a navy blue ribbon as the belt I pull out a plain pair of black high heels and get dressed.

I go into the kitchen and see Steve and Tony already in their suits chatting about the news.

"Pepper did a nice job" Tony remarks over the rim of his coffee cup.

"She always does, just wish it wasn't for a funeral" I sigh putting my coat and clutch on the island.

Steve nods sadly.

"Ms Stark"? Jarvis asks.

"Yes Jarvis"? I ask him.

"Ms Blake requires assistance in her room" He explains.

I nod heading that way down the hall, I pause at the door suddenly caught in a flashback from when I was around her age getting ready for my parents funeral. I didn't want to put the dress on because if I did that made it real, that they weren't coming back.

I knock.

"Come in"

I go in, she's standing in front of the closet full length mirror fluffing the skirt on her dress.

"Jarvis told me that you needed some help in here" I say moving to standing behind her.

"Yeah, could you tie the ribbon"? She asks holding the ends of the satin ribbon out to me.

I nod fluffing my own floor length skirt out so I can bend down to tie the bow behind her back without getting my own dress caught on my shoes.

"There" I say pressing the folds of the bow one more time.

"Thank you Mia" She says quietly.

We go back out to the kitchen where Nat has joined Tony and Steve, she's wearing a plain black dress and simple black ballet flats.

"Clint and Bruce are helping Thor with his suit" Nat says after I looked around for those three.

"Pep is meeting us there, so once those three are ready we can go" Tony says putting his now empty cup in the sink to be washed later.

Clint, Bruce and Thor walk in about ten minutes later.

"Let's go" Steve says being the one to spur us into motion, none of us wanting to move.

Ash and I fall into step next to Clint I blink but keep walking when I feel his hand take hold of mine, I sigh internally. He gives my hand a reassuring squeeze as we get to the cars, I tighten my hold on his then help Ash into the SUV.

I turn to Ash.

"There is one thing I want you to remember for me" I say holding her hand.

"What's that"? She asks her eyes already misty.

"To breathe, no matter how hard it gets ok. Just breathe" I say pulling her as close as the seat belts will allow.

I feel her nod against my shoulder, the car slows to a stop so do the two behind carrying the others. My door opens revealing a very solemn looking Happy, he helps me out then Ash.

She and I are flanked by the team in a protective circle, the funeral director leads us inside to the memorial space where Pepper is waiting. She hugs Ash as soon as we are close enough then latches onto Tony.

"Is everything ok"? I ask her as we take our seats.

"Yeah I was just telling the director if anything went wrong, he would have the full weight of the Avengers coming down on him" She whispers.