Chapter Thirty-Four

The room had been quiet for some time. Vision and Wanda's swift exit left an atmosphere that had not yet been penetrated by noise. Not even the screaming of traffic or humans seemed to pop the bubble their departure had created.

Even without noise, though, (Y/N) could not find peace within herself. The crimson the Witch had bathed the room in was vivid and coerced a rather bitter response from the Titan. She could almost feel the color seeping in through her skin, setting in her blood; thickening like a lethal injection.

The red disturbed her.

Why was there a need to submerge the whole room in it? As far as (Y/N) had been concerned, she'd done absolutely nothing wrong. The natural dynamic of relationships had slipped from her since her people had been slaughtered. Whatever the Witch had been apprehensive over hadn't made any sense - the Titan was similar to that of an American child: a simple brain in regards to human relation or relations in general. It was better for her that way. The complexity of the universe and genocide plagued her mind daily. It did her well to allow moments of rest, moments not so caught up in thought so she could breathe without feeling like she was suffocating.

However, she'd done too much thinking recently. The fact that she was self-aware of her lack of education screamed PROBLEM to her, but without any visits from Tony, Strange, or even Peter, she felt incapable of attempting to educate herself. Tony was the one who desired her presence on Earth in the first place. How relevant was her stay if she wasn't accurately acknowledged?

As if Tony had been secretly monitoring her brain, a knock sounded on the door. For good reason, (Y/N) kept her mouth shut. If the person truly needed to have a discussion, they would walk in willingly. Whether to see if the girl was asleep or to excite her fully functioning brain, it didn't matter, what did matter was their attempt to visit at all.

Metal clanking rattled on the floor for a second before (Y/N) heard a light chuckle and the retraction of Stark technology. She could remember the same almost inaudible retraction of his nano-tech on Titan, and as she paid close attention to the sounds, a wave of alleviation overtook her.

Tony was familiar.

Comfort.

"It's nice to see you awake," Tony said. His voice was small, barely echoing around the half-empty room. It was so still, (Y/N) could have sworn she seen his words form against the cornsilk curtains.

"I suppose if you'd visited more often you'd know I've been awake."

A hint of guilt laid bare on the man's face. But only for a moment before he placed his arms in front of his chest, a masculine defense mechanism he'd obtained over the years.

"I'm aware Vision has been taking care of you," He completely ignored her words. "I was also told you met Wanda," A small hiss escaped Tony's lips as he made a cock-eyed smile at the Titan, "How'd that go? She as spicy red as her powers?"

Without reason, (Y/N) found humor in his words.

"You could say that," A soft giggle tumbled out of her lips, a meager grin teetering, "She seemed absurdly apprehensive toward me. Any reason for that?"

"Was Vision around?"

The mention of his name caused a small pink light to shimmer in her pupils. Subtle. Soft. Like his accent.

A nod could only escape her.

"Guarding what's hers, I suppose."

She cocked her head to the side in blank confusion, "You all form relationships with one another? While protecting an entire planet?"

"It's no different from how you were raised," He shrugged. The squeaking of expensive furniture echoed throughout the room as he sauntered over toward the same chair Vision had used. Trying to be subtle, Tony carried on with conversation while he scooted it over. "Did she say anything to you?"

She shrugged, "Not really. Introduced herself, made herself comfortable in that space over there, then colored my whole room red."

"Jeez..."

A very abrupt silence filled the room. The seat stopped squeaking. The only sounds were their breathing and a small second of awkward tension as Tony cleared his throat and nervously bounced his leg again.

(Y/N) was able to pinpoint the need for discomfort right away. She was kept in a tower with people she did not know. She was disliked by a female for strange romantic attraction. And she was bombarded with noise, with thoughts, with curiosities.

But why was Tony uncomfortable?

It was his home. His safe haven.

"Do you want to experience Manhattan?" Tony asked out of the blue. (Y/N)'s eyes wandered upward and she noticed his had meandered toward the windows. A small draft inside of the room caused one small portion of the curtains to flicker in and out, causing rays of the sun to fiddle back and forth on their figures.

More than anything, she wanted to get out of that bed. Out of that room. Out of the tower.

But her existence was obviously peculiar. She did not look like the rest of the humans yet had somehow not frightened the three Avengers she'd encountered on Titan. Granted she looked more humane than Thanos ever could have, her origin could never go unnoticed. There would always remain a light blue hue to her skin tone, small birthmarks and indents in her skin that had been hereditary for generations. Not to mention the glow she carried with her regularly because of her origin in the first place.

She was different.

But that was the point.

That was why she was there in the first place.