Chapter One - Launch

The polished oak floorboards creaked and groaned, as her pacing feet wore a groove into their surface. She stopped and stared out of the huge window, watching the Moon fade to nothing as the sun rose.

She pulled her silver hair into a tight bun, before tying thick leather straps over her shoulders.

Her First-Beta lifted the heavy metal onto her frame, fastening it at the sides. The weight was comforting, it squashed the ache in Kat's chest.

"I do not think this is necessary, Luna." his gravelled voice cut through the quiet.

"I understand that, Vilkas. We both know it is not necessary to my survival. But I would like to make an entrance." she spoke calmly, her voice soft.

It had been three days since she'd lost him. The rage had left her, replaced with steely determination. She felt a disconnect. It was as though she watched herself go through the motions, from a distance. 

Vilkas had sensed it. He had altered his own behaviour to ease her suffering.

She looked at him now, appraisingly.

He stood tall, taller than most. His ice blue eyes pierced her mask of strength. He saw all of her scars, all of her heartbreak. Most of all, he saw her want to hide it... and he let her. He pretended he couldn't see her for what she was. For that, she was grateful. 

Her eyes followed the deep scar across his face, frowning at the way it pulled his mouth into a grimace. He always seemed to be looking at everyone with disdain. 

Kat knew now that wasn't always the case. 

He rubbed at the darkness under his eyes. It had been so long since he'd slept, Kat knew. When he wasn't with her, he was at his love's bedside, praying to the Goddess for her to wake. So far, his prayers had gone unanswered. 

"What pack will we venture to first?" Vilkas drew her attention to the large map nailed to the desk. It was dotted with multicoloured pins.

Red, for packs known to affiliate with Konan. Yellow, for packs with no known loyalties. Green, for packs that were too new to know for sure. And Blue...

"I don't think there's any point us starting with a Blue pack, they've proved loyal to Cal in the past." Vilkas spoke, frowning at the smattering of blue pins, oblivious to the affect his words had had.

Kat felt the hand close around her chest, as it had every time she permitted herself to think of him. She felt the bond writhe, as an agonising scream burst from her lips. Kat fell forwards, gripping the desk beneath white knuckles. 

"Luna, I'm sorry, it was a mistake. I didn't mean-" Vilkas stuttered, moving towards Kat.

He hovered in front of her as she shook, his hands inches from her skin.

Her whole body convulsed in pain. The separation ripped her soul over and over and over again. Each tear shattering her brain as she desperately tried to put herself back together. The armour that softened her aching heart, now squeezed the life out of her.

"The - armour-" she managed to gasp. 

Vilkas worked quickly, freeing her from the metal. He threw it unceremoniously across the room. 

She fell backwards, cracking her head hard on the floor. She wished for the dark that came with unconsciousness. But the bond would not release her. It mourned for him, as she did. 

Kat's skin began to bubble and blister. 

"No- no. Luna!" Vilkas knelt at her side, wringing his hands.