i. start

Can braces himself as he stands in front of his new school.

It's been one whole month since school year starts but something happened from his former school so his mother insisted that he switch schools at the start of the second month.

Now, he's looking very frightened, all alone, in front of the school's gate of his cousin, Tar. He intends to call his cousin but he realizes he must have been already in his class and since he doesn't want to disturb him anymore, he decides to go alone.

He grasps the straps of his backpack tight, wanting to hide inside his backpack forever and never come out. He walks slowly along the hallways with his head bowed down. As much as possible, he doesn't want a repeat of what happened from his previous school so he plans to blend in with all the students. His cousin once told him that it's a very populated school so he thinks that it's very possible that he will get through his last year of high school, not attracting any unnecessary problem.

Can tries to remember all the things the woman on the phone said yesterday when he and his mother called to ask how his first day of school will work out. Fortunately, Tar was able to tell him the directions of some of the places he should know.

He continues walking until his feet brought him outside the door, Can guesses he's in the right place based on the plaque above the door.

It reads 'Admission Office'.

He heaves a big sigh and raises his hand to knock on the door. When he does, the door suddenly opens, revealing a tall guy, poker-faced, looking at his suspended hand, irritation showing on his face.

Well, Can almost punches the guy, he doesn't blame him.

Can smiles in apology and brings his hand down, he's about to open his mouth and say sorry but the guy walks past through him.

Can is shocked. That guy is so rude but he doesn't mind it anymore. Goodness knows that guy might be a gangster and he doesn't want to be involved with someone like him. He has too much on his plates, he doesn't need a rude guy like him anymore.

He fixes his uniform and posture and enters the office.

There, sitting on a swivel chair is a man probably in his mid-50s, Can guesses based on the wrinkles on his face and his slowly balding head. Can reads his name placed at the near edge of the table, it reads, 'Mike Pirapat'.

Mr. Mike smiles at him. Can, in return, smiles a little.

"You're the transferred student, Can, I presume?" Mr. Mike asks and begins to look for something from the messy heaps of paper on his table.

Can nods, realizing the older man can't see him, he utters, "Yes sir."

"Very well. Sit down first, please... please wait while I look for something."

Can slowly sits down across from him.

"My things are usually disorganized but that's the only way my brain can function very well but your schedule is just here somewhere I'm sure of it-oh here it is."

Mr. Mike pulls a paper from his messy table which he gives to Can.

"Mr. Can, that will be your schedule until the year ends."

"Thank you-"

"I've heard why you have to suddenly change school. I hope it wouldn't happen again."

Mr. Mike gives him a strict but polite smile. Can blushes at being reminded of why he had to suddenly move school.

"Of course, Sir."

"Very well then. Our school is very pleased you're here. Have a fruitful year. Enjoy."