Chp 7:

Nicolai:

She looked beautiful, in a tight fitting black backless dress, her hair slightly wavy and her brown eyes seemed to appear bright.

I leaned up against the counter and sipped the whisky from my glass as I listened to my mother go on an on about the plans for the banquet.

"Nicolai could I see you in my study please?" my dad said breaking my gaze from Tessa.

"Yeah." I set down my glass and followed him.

He shut the doors and turned to me

"I do not want to waste my time and money on somebody who is just okay in this department, do you promise me that she is good?" he asked

"Yes, her colleagues raved about her whenever she wasn't around. Don't worry, would I honestly set you guys up with somebody that I knew could mess something as important as this banquet up for you." I said titling my head and raising an eyebrow; while giving him a smirk.

He glared at me, he wasn't amused.

"Get out." he said rubbing his temples.

I reluctantly did.

I walked back towards the kitchen but found Tessa and my mother outside on the back porch.

"So how's it going?" I said touching my mothers shoulder and standing next to them.

"It's all going well. I'm so glad you recommended her honey." she said, Tessa blushed

"Thank you." she said looking at me, a questioning look in her eyes.

"Hey mom, do you think I could maybe have a moment to talk with Tessa?"my mother backed up.

"Yes, of course. Dinner should be ready in about ten- to fifteen minutes." we both nodded as she walked back inside.

"Please, feel free to sit." I said as I pointed to the cushiony seats.

"I appreciate you coming, I know it means a lot to my parents."

She gave me a shy smile "Of course, it's my pleasure."

I gave her a slight smile and nod.

We were silent, she sipped her glass of wine that was most likely poured for her by my mother.

"What are you drinking there? Moët and Chandon? Stella Rosa?" I asked as I looked at the glass, she removed the glass from her lips "Uh actually, Lanson I think it was." she said.

"Ah, that's a good one." she nodded.

"Dinner is served!" my mother said breaking the awkward tension.

We walked inside and to the dining room, I sat across from my mother while Tessa sat across from my father.

Men on one side and women on the other.

"This looks, delicious." Tessa said, "Oh I'm so glad you think so. Louis is a great chef!"

"Thank you madam!" Louis their chef of five years said as he finished placing the meals on the table.

I didn't understand how I didn't notice before how beautiful she is as I continue to catch glimpses of her.

"So Tessa, tell us a little bit about yourself?" Asked my mother.

Tessa:

I sipped my wine awkwardly and cleared my throat to speak.

"Well I'm the oldest of two children.

I have a younger sister, she's twenty-one and currently lives with me in the city.

I graduated from Columbia University, and I'm from a suburban town in Westchester County."

"Wow, all very good. What is your family like?" she continued to ask me, she being Nick's mom.

"My family is amazing, my mom is a high school English teacher, and my dad is an accountant for a law firm."

"Oh okay, well how nice." I gave her a quick smile.

"So what made you want to become an event planner?"

"Well when I was growing up, my aunt who was like a second mom to me, she would always take me with her to work.

Those being on the days when my mother was working and couldn't pick me up from school or so on.

And my aunt, Jennifer she planned weddings, dances, banquets, and even a few concerts. It always looked so exciting to me."

"That's neat, so if you hadn't gone into event planning what else would you have done?"

"I would've most likely become a publicist."

"Very good, well I think that all sounds nice."

I smiled again, this time I noticed Nick looking across the table in my direction.

His gaze was intense, there was something about it.

It was intense, intimidating, sensual, but charming all at the same time.

Stop it Tessa.

You two couldn't even bare to be in the same room with one another a few weeks ago.

Stop you do not find him attractive.

I kept thinking that telling myself this would help me...but it didn't.

He moved his index finger along the rim of his glass, I every so often would catch his bright green- gray eyes look in my direction.

I looked down at my hands which were cupped together in my lap.

Stop it Tess!

"I'll help you clear the plates." his mother said to his father, after we ate.

They both stood up and took the plates into the kitchen.

Leaving me alone with him.

Shit.

He propped his elbow up on the table and placed his hand underneath his jaw line, his jaw line was extremely defined.

He moved his fingers up and down his jaw line scratching the very little bit of stubble on his face, it was very attractive.

I took another sip of my wine and started to play awkwardly with my hair.

"Dessert?" his mother's voice said, breaking the silence.

I looked at her as she set down apple pie and a plate of cookies down on the table.

She picked the plate up and moved it towards Nick, he raised his hand and shook his head "None for me, thank you."

"No thank you, I'm actually pretty full." I said when she offered me some.

"Well alright then, more for me." she said with a laugh.

For the rest of the duration at the table we discussed the plans for the banquet and what they expected from me.

"Oh Tessa you have no idea how thankful I am! Thank you so much for agreeing to do this, even though it was such short notice."

"It's my pleasure, thank you for giving me this opportunity." his mother smiled, as I was handed my coat at the front door and we said our goodbyes Nick stared at me.

"Nice to meet you again!" his mother said, she was very sweet and welcoming.

His father was the exact opposite.

I got into my car and noticed Nick in the doorway he waved me off as I began to pull out of the driveway.

Why was I beginning to find him so attractive?

This wasn't supposed to happen.