Chapter 9

"Eloise! It's the middle of the night, do you think you could turn down the music?"

Owein looked sheepish as he poked his head in my door. My eyes flitted to the clock that read 12:42 AM. My soon-to-be stepfather watched as I held up my stereo remote and clicked it down twice.

"Maybe a little more," he muttered, losing patience.

I clicked it twice again. Owein sighed and, figuring that it was the best he would get, shuffled back down the hall to his own bedroom. I swear the man never got riled up or relaxed. Even his pajamas were perfectly pressed and ironed. My mom had followed his suit and was sleeping down the hall in a silk nightgown.

She used to sleep in an extra-large Mets T-shirt with holes in it.

As soon as I was sure Owein was all the way back down the hall in his bedroom, I turned the sound back up two more notches. There wasn't that much of a difference in noise level.

While I didn't mind the fact that it annoyed my unshakable soon-to-be stepfather, there was a more valid reason for my loud music. Without the sound to distract me, the nightmares were unbearable. Whenever I closed my eyes, all I could see was the dead man in the river. All I could see was Tommy Joy.

The time hit 1 o'clock and I felt my eyes drooping. They closed for thirty seconds before I shot up in bed. I was doing all I could to resist the urge to sleep. My feet touched the cold floor hesitantly as I decided to walk around a little in order to wake up. I peered out the window and spotted the personal lake Owein's house sat on. The lake gave me an idea.

After I'd changed into something warmer, I stood in front of our two boats trying to make a decision. Personally, I found it ridiculous that I had to choose between boats, whereas a few weeks ago my permanent bed was a pull-out couch. I decided on the smaller one, figuring it would be easier to maneuver.

My sailing abilities were shaky, to say the least, but I'd been watching YouTube videos and it really didn't look too hard.

I began walking out on the dock toward the smaller boat when a voice from behind me made me jump out of my skin.

"Going for a night swim?"

I whirled around to face the figure standing at the edge of the dock. The silhouette of his shoulders stood out against the background of the house. The voice was familiar.

"Thinking about sailing actually," I responded as Tucker walked toward me on the dock.

"Are you an idiot? Do you even know how to sail?" 

His face, as he came closer and I could see him, looked appalled.

There was something else in the air between us under that night sky. I felt it. There was a tension that crackled like lightning. Energy and power rolled off of Tucker's shoulders toward me. He even seemed to be standing taller and his eyes seemed brighter. This powerful presence made it hard to think.