Chapter 16

"God, I miswell just give up," Dustin teased with his voice a mocking sorrow, "I mean, I got nothing on a 17 year old." He shrugged his shoulders as my eyes rolled for what must of been the millionth time.

Slapping him hard on the shoulder, "Make a right here." I told him as the blush had ran down my neck, "And it's NOT funny!" I emphasized the 'not' to the best of my ability, a laugh breaking through each syllable. Knocking down the front mirror in the old Chevy 1500 Dustin had acquired from his Father, I ran my hands through my blonde locks one more time tsking as I noticed my once auburn highlights were now a faded brown.

"Not-uh, none of that, you look beautiful." Dustin warned from the driver's seat to which I replied by sticking out my tongue. He cupped his hand around my chin as the car came to a stop and he leaned in real close, my immediate reaction was to close my eyes and when a laugh came out of his lips rather than them connecting with mine I batted my eyelids open and gazed at him in confusion. "We're here." His voice held a distant sense of desire but I grinned and placed my hand on his chest to playfully push him away from me. "Now when we get in there remember what I,"

Stopping his sentence mid-way I interrupted with reciting what he had told me on the way over, "I know I know, you're not gonna leave my side and if I get uncomfortable telling the story we can go, I think I got it Dad."

"That's Daddy to you." He winked and shimmied his shoulders before pushing open the truck door and jogging over to my side where I was a giggling mess. "Come on now, Darlin'." Stepping down onto the parking lot, I looped my arm around Dustin's and brought my right hand up to squeeze onto his bicep as I had down mindlessly countless other time, although this time I did it for more of a security reason.

Gazing up at the brick building I felt my knees begin to wobble in the slightest which caused me to move in closer to Dustin, sensing this he brought his left hand up to cup my own and gave it a squeeze. When I peeked up at him I noticed he had already been looking at me and he offered me a small, tight smile to which I reciprocated. Once we reached the door, my eyes ran over the white print, 'Thompson and Cruz' ran across the front in big, bold letters.

"Suite 480," Dustin read the smallest print, yet my eyes continued to stay glued to the 'Attorneys at Law' part that ran across the bottom in slightly smaller blue letters. When we were dating, Ace never mentioned anything about wanting to be a lawyer; shaking my head of those thoughts I continued on and we entered an elevator. Dustin's finger pressed against the button for floor number four.

"Hold it!" A voice yelled and Dustin's immediate instinct was to grasp the metal door before it crushed whoever was hollering on the other side. A suitcase appeared and then a large frame, Ace Thompson was bustling his way into the elevator as if it were the crowded streets of New York City.

"Floor four," He said without glancing at Dustin.

"Already going there, bud." Dustin's accent had grown thicker, or maybe it was his voice, but he hadn't moved his eyes to look at Ace either, rather he stared ahead.

Hearing this made Ace cock his head to the side, he was about a head shorter than Dustin and inches taller than me, his piercing blue eyes could look right into my soul just as they had done years ago and the black hair on top of his head sat in a 'I just had sex,' manner.

"Well if my eyes aren't deceiving me, RaeLynn Parsons is that you?" Shutting my eyes for a brief moment I silently prayed that he would vanish and much to my dismay when I composed myself enough to open my eyes he was still there and this time his arms were spread wide as if I was supposed to run into them. Instead I raised an eyebrow in his direction and a laugh pushed past my lips before I could swallow it.