29. Stank

The first week went by extremely fast, while the next one dragged on for what felt like ages. There was no one to talk to except for dad and I just wanted to go walk through the city. But I was locked inside with nothing else to do than watch movies, read, draw or cook. In times like that I missed Pepper the most, she would know fun things to do. But she was traveling for Stark industries, from country to country. I hadn't seen her in almost a year, ever since she had broken up with dad.

The third week was filled with surprises. On wednesday Rhodey was excused from the hospital and came to stay at the facility. When dad pushed him inside in his wheelchair I ran up to him for a hug. I was so happy he was back. 

" How are you?" I asked him when we all sat down in the living room. 

" I'm good," he nodded " When your dad's ready with the rig and braces I'll be able to start recovering." he told me. I really wanted to help on that, but I couldn't enter the lab for two months. 

" They'll be done tomorrow." dad told him.

On Thursday while Rhodes was trying out the rig an Vision had finally returned to the compound a package was delivered. A grey haired man, who looked too old to still be working knocked on the door. He was a FedEx driver carrying a package. 

" Are you Tony 'Stank'?" he asked dad. 

" Yes, this is- this is Tony Stank." Rhodey said while I received the package from the man, dad didn't like being handed things. " You're in the right place. Thank you for that! I'm never dropping that, by the way. Table for one, Mr. 'Stank'. Please, by the bathroom." Rhodes joked.

Dad grabbed it from the table I had put it on and went into another room to open it. I helped Rhodey further with his walking along the parallel bars. " How many missions did you say you had been on?" I asked him, I had been making coffee when he told dad, and I hadn't heard the number. 

" 138 combat missions." he smiled. 

" That are a lot of missions." I told him while stabilizing him. " All in the War-Machine suit?" I asked him. 

" Most of them." I could remember a time he and dad didn't have a suit, he was just a normal man in the army and dad was just a CEO. Now they were much more than that and their lives were ten times more complicated.

When dad walked back out I asked who the package was from. " Steve." he said plainly. 

" What did he send?" I asked curious. 

" A phone." he said " I also got a call from Ross, he broke them out." He broke Sam and Wanda out? 

" How did he do that?" I asked confused but impressed. 

" He took out all the agents and snuk them out in a helicopter."

I saw something was bugging him " Did he only send a phone?" I asked. 

" A letter as well." I wasn't gonna ask what was in it, he wouldn't tell me anyway. Why didn't I get a letter from Steve? I was the one on his team, the one who tried to help him. Deep down, I hoped he was gonna break me out as well. That I would run away with them, be free. 

The next week I stayed up as late as I could every night, waiting for them to  come and get me. But just like I hadn't gotten a letter, he didn't break me out. Why didn't they come and get me? Didn't they want me on their team anymore? Was it because I had been home while Sam and Wanda had been in that horrible prison? I didn't know, but I did know that I wasn't gonna hear from them for a long time. Especially not when I was stuck in the compound.

I talked to Viz a lot the next weeks, I even made him watch Star-Wars with me. I think he enjoyed it. When we had watched the first movie he was telling me how the events of those movies weren't that unrealistic as I thought they were. He was right, for all we knew, there could have been space battles going on out there in the galaxy we didn't even know about. Nonetheless he watched all of them with me, even The Force Awakens. 

He realised how big a fan I was when I could recite the dialogue from almost every scene in the first three movies. 

" You have way too much time on your hands." Was his reaction to me showing him my drawings of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and R2D2. He wasn't wrong, I really did have too much time. I was just extremely grateful dad payed the Netflix bill. So I could watch everything I wanted, well at least if it was on there. 

In those weeks Viz, Rhodes, dad and I watched a lot of movies. From Harry Potter to Citizen Kane. It made the house arrest a bit more bearable.

Every night I still went up to the roof to stare at the night sky. Wondering where my team was hiding out. Wondering if they were safe. Still hoping they would come and get me.