𝐈𝐕. HOGWARTS

CHAPTER FOURHOGWARTS

CHAPTER FOUR
HOGWARTS

§ § §

Not long after the dementor attack, the train arrived to Hogwarts. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I changed into our school robes before leaving. I was taking a long time to gather my things, and Harry got annoyed and pulled Ron and Hermione off the train with him.

I sighed and went to follow them, and met up with a different group of people. Draco, Pansy, Blaise, Crabbe, and Goyle. I frowned but joined them since they were sort of my friends.

"Giovanna! We have so much to catch up on!" Pants exclaimed, moving away from Draco to take my arm. We now walked in front of the boys. I felt the heel of my shoe slide up and I turned to see a smirking Draco.

"Hey, Snake Boy, I'd appreciate it if you'd watch where you're going." I say, smirking back. Draco grins at the nick name.

"Fine, Serpent Girl, only for this time though." He goes back to smirking. Pansy, flaring, turns to look at Draco as well.

"Stop interrupting us, Dracula."

Draco scowled. "Don't ever call me that again."

I laughed and turned back to face the front. As we got off the train, I groaned to myself when I saw it was raining. My group and I raced quickly to catch one of the last carriages heading to the school.

"So, you guys heard about Sirius Black?" Crabbe asks when we got onto the carriage.

I raised my eyebrows. "You talk?"

Draco smirked at Crabbe, who rolled his eyes. Blaise sets his head in his hands, and groans with annoyance. "Yes, Crabbe, we don't live under rocks."

And that was the end of that conversation. There were a few more phrases exchanged during the ride, but none that I cared about. When we arrived to the castle, Draco got out first. We all filed out after him, hoods up against the rain. I was next to Draco as we walked. Back in first year, we would be under the same cloak, huddling close. But after the weird unfortunate turn in our relationship last year, we weren't at the "friends" stage. Just acquaintances. I wanted to become friends again, but Pansy wouldn't allow it.

Not that I care what she allows, though.

I lowered my hood the second we stepped foot into the warm and bright castle. I smiled when I saw the doors that would open shortly and lead us into the Great Hall. When they did open, I happily hurried in and sat in the seat I always sit in at the Slytherin table.

I turn behind me and see Noah sitting at the Hufflepuff table. He catches my eye and smiles, which I return. My view is covered when Eli walks in front of me and takes his seat on my left. Pansy on my right. Draco across.

"Would you two stop with the heart eyes?" Eli complains, glaring back at his cousin, Noah. I feel my cheeks heat up.

"I do not make heart eyes." I scowled, and Eli nods, mumbling a sarcastic "Mmhmm."

I glanced at Draco, who's frowning at the blonde Hufflepuff with distaste.

At the High Table, Lupin sat with Severus Snape, Minerva McGonagall, Hagrid and Albus Dumbledore. Filch , Hogwarts' caretaker, stood grimly at the side as red-eyed Mrs. Norris swished her tail at his feet. As the choir's song concluded, Dumbledore rose, beaming over the sea of black hats.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast." Dumbledore began.

"I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair..." McGonagall cleared her throat. "Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor. "

There was a scattered applause, but Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I clapped the loudest.

"Look at Snape," I heard Pansy whisper to me. I looked at the Professor and my eyebrows raised in shock. It was now secret Snape wanted that job as the DADA teacher, but this look he had was beyond hate for just the job. He hated Lupin personally.

"As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs." Dumbledore smiled. "Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!"

I was shocked yet again, but it quickly turned to pride for Hagrid and I applauded with the other students.

Then, Dumbledore, with his voice turning grave, looked down at the sea of students. "Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts - at the request of the Ministry of Magic - will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban."

A murmur of apprehension filled the hall. I glanced up at Draco, who is looking over at Harry and he fakes fainting. I frowned and look away. I guess he didn't know I passed out too. But, if he did, he wouldn't annoy me like that. I hope.

Dumbledore spoke up once more. "The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving. Well, I think that's everything of importance," said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!"

The golden plates and goblets before the students filled suddenly with food and drink. I suddenly became very hungry, and helped myself to everything I could reach and began to eat. I made sure I didn't look at Crabbe and Goyle while they ate. Disgusting. Draco glanced at Pansy, who wasn't the neatest eater either.

"Yes Dracie?" She asks, batting her eyelashes. I burst into a fit of laughter, so much that people from the other end of the table were looking over at me.

"Dracie? Dracie?" I breath through laughter, tears forming in my eyes and my face turning red. Pansy looks down, embarrassed. "Sorry, I just wasn't prepared for that." I finally calm down.

"You call him Snake Boy." She responds defensively.

"That's different." Draco snaps at Pansy. "That... has meaning. Your names are stupid, just call me Malfoy." He rolls his eyes. Pansy sighs while I'm practically beaming.

Without much issue, the feast carried on, until everyone had finished. Once it did, the professors called up their Prefects, who in turn gathered the first years into singular groups. As they did, the remaining students, including myself, started exiting the Great Hall, to leave to our dorms.

Students file out of the Great Hall, and as I'm leaving someone grabs my arm. I look over to see Draco. I send him a confused look, and he holds out his hand for a high-five, which I give. Draco grins down at me, and I smirk back.

"I'll think we'll be okay this year." The white-blonde smirks, and with that, is blended into the crowd.

I grin and follow the other students out.