35. Confession

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

Jaden was really upset. On Friday, I could feel how anxious he was, how much my existence bothered him. I spent the weekend at home, playing with the kids and helping the caretakers, but I couldn't stop thinking about Jaden even for a moment.

On Monday I decided to stay as far away from him as possible in the hope that he would understand I didn't want any harm. For some reason that only made him even more upset.

And then it got weird. I could feel him coming closer to me during lunch, while I was reading a book right outside of the library. I assumed he just had a class somewhere near me, and I was about to move away, but he just kept coming closer.

I waited to see if he was ready to talk to me now, but instead of coming straight to me, he stayed behind the corner. I wasn't sure what to think of the situation. He was clearly curious about me, but he didn't seem to have enough confidence to come to me. Why? What on earth made me so scary to him? I was just a miserable tiny human, and he was a werewolf!

I saw him peeking at me from the corner of my eye. I kept my head down and pretended to be reading. I still had no idea what to do with the situation. It was so crazy! Nothing made any sense.

But he sure was being adorable. I probably shouldn't have used that word for him, but still. He was so darn curious but afraid at the same time, like a wild wolf puppy who saw a human for the first time.

Oh, and when our eyes met, and he immediately made a run for it... I had to bite my lips in order to not laugh out loud. I had stepped into some kind of loopy land, hadn't I? What on earth was going on?

I was sure that would be the last I saw of him for a while, but then he came back, and his attitude had changed. He stopped in the middle of the hallway, acting all studly and mighty, giving me a glare that said, 'I am the big bad beast in here!'. And when I said hi to him, I could almost see his confidence leaving his body. He seemed so spooked that I wanted to tell him I wasn't going to hurt him, that everything was all right, but I kept my mouth shut.

I decided it was safest if I just pretended to be reading. He was so close to freaking out and I didn't want to push him. And it worked! I heard him taking a deep breath, and he started to relax a little, before he started walking to me. What a brave little puppy.

And when he said he would be waiting for me by the entrance, I was sure neither of us knew if he was really going to do so. During the rest of the day, Jaden had short moments when he was about to freak out, so I was fairly sure he wouldn't be waiting for me.

But he surprised me. And by the look on his face, he had surprised even himself.

I stopped close by to put my gloves on, trying not to stare at Jaden, who was standing by the door, keeping his eyes on me. He was not comfortable. I knew he wanted to run away again, but he still stayed. He looked at the door a few times, like making sure his escape route was still clear.