39 | Typical

WE MAKE OUR WAY back to the chalet.

I didn't know quite how to recover from what had happened. It was a small interaction, inconsequential even, but there was just something different, like me being the one to initiate contact had messed with something.

Or that even with no one around we needed to convince we were in a relationship, and we had still... flirted? Was that what that was? Was Archer flirting with me?

"I just need to get changed," I tell Archer when we make it through the door. He nodded and disappeared, saying something about needing a shower. Instead of using the one in our room, he snuck off down a side corridor to where I assumed another one would be.

I was grateful, to be honest. Space wasn't such a bad thing when my brain was this much of a mess.

I see a small trail of water, and figure either Noah or Autumn was back.

As I make my way to the room, I hear voices. Their words are swallowed almost entirely by the walls, but I can just make out that there's two of them and they don't sound all that happy with each other.

I knew I shouldn't, like really shouldn't stick my nose where it's not wanted. But has that ever stopped me before?

The voices were a little louder now, so that I could pick out words here and there. I looked to the room to my left, figuring they were in it. The door to the room was open a fraction, enough for me to peek in for a second and then go on my way.

Only, the whole 'only for a second' was thrown out the window when I froze, stiffened completely.

"You agreed to it!" I could hear Autumn's voice was shrill and irritated. "Just sex. That was the whole point of this. I thought that was what you wanted, too!"

I crept closer, until I could see in.

Autumn was standing with her side to the door, and whoever she was talking to hidden around the corner.

The person sighed. I imagined them running their hands through their hair, pulling at the ends in frustration.

"And we also said if either one of us got into a relationship, this—" there was a pause, like he was gesturing between them both. "— would be over. So you want to throw away us for what? Some instructor? Give me a break."

"Jacques and I are not in a relationship! How many fucking times? It was a date, that's all," she was shouting properly now, and I wondered if Archer would be able to hear the show, too. I hoped not. "Besides, you can't talk. Who was that girl texting you? Hm? You have no right to be mad at me."

"You're trying to make us even then?"

"I can't believe you," she cried in outrage. "Not every little thing in my life revolves around you, Noah." Noah.

I should have known. I should have recognised that voice, the unmistakable dusting of a spanish accent appearing every now and then. But more to the point, I should have kept walking. I shouldn't have been such a nosy bitch.

"You know what? Have fun with Jacob."

"It's Jacques," she said through gritted teeth. "And you know what? Maybe I will."