Part Five. Chapter One. Alex

Returning home was bitter sweet.  Returning home meant that the celebration and holiday were at an end, that all three of us would be returning to work and any realities that came with that.  But at the same time, we were returning as husbands and mates, their bites permanently scaring the tender skin between my neck and collarbone and never had something looked so beautiful.  My body produced a blend of my own scent and theirs; Eric would bury his face into the sensitive, drawn flesh whenever a chance arose to take in the aroma.

On the Monday, we lingered in each other's hold by the front door after breakfast, suddenly unwilling to part with current company, but all too soon Michael and I left for the hospital, leaving Eric behind.  We planned to arrive early, Michael wished to take a blood test so we could rest assured my body was clean after the brush with the drugs.  I also needed to obtain my new work schedule from my supervisor and update certain details, one being my address and another marital status.  The last...

"Are you sure about this?" Michael asked me again as we pulled into the staff car park.

I nodded.  "Yes," I told him.  "I want everyone to know that I am yours."

"You are," Michael said, gruffly, planting a tender kiss upon my lips.  "And I am yours.  Eric would agree the same."  I smiled warmly and returned the kiss, before removing my seatbelt and stepping out of the car. 

"Besides," I tell him, leaning over the car slightly as I watch him emerge from the drivers side.  "Alex Haze-Quinn has a nice sound to it, don't you think?"

He stepped quickly around the car to cage me with his arms against it, before dominating my mouth roughly.  Heat began to pool between my legs and I felt a little shaken by this side of him.  Not in a bad way, mind you, just that I feared I wouldn't be able to walk steadily into the hospital if we continued.  "It's perfect," he said, his eyes darkening as I panted breathlessly before him.  "Come on, my love.  Before I take you in the car park."  A shiver trickled down my spine as I wondered if I would stop him from doing so, should he decide to.

*****

Seeing at it is the height of summer, two things become apparent; unfortunately neither is glorious sunshine, but the weather is warm. No, the two things are dehydration and children. Despite the heat (despite the lack of blue skies), people do not drink enough liquids, coupled with 'lazy days' drinking alcohol means visits from people feeling 'unexplainable' nausea and dizziness. And the children have broken up from school and are less likely doing homework and more likely playing outside, but either way accompanying parents everywhere (the young ones at least), demanding sweets and crying when not getting attention. What has that to do with a cleaner in a hospital environment? Well it was simple. The toilets smelled really bad; the undiluted and badly aimed urine produced an eye watering aroma that had me wondering whether my colleagues either were doing their jobs poorly or just couldn't cope in the circumstances!

I prioritised cleaning the toilets in my area, was even thanked by a few nurses who had been trying to ignore their bursting bladders in an effort to avoid the unpleasant bathrooms. I scrubbed until the grooves upon the rubber gloves had become close to being smooth, before reporting the situation to my supervisor. She was apologetic; the higher ups had reduced her budget and the staff working beneath him were stretched thin about the hospital, overtime was a myth. The poor woman had the pressure of a thousand complaints bearing heavily down upon her shoulders and could do little to rectify them. What was worse, was that two of my colleagues were threatening to leave due to the worsened conditions.

It seemed mad that things had changed so much in just two weeks, but I shrugged, patted the despairing woman on the back and went to recharge; I went to find Michael so we could have lunch together.