Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 9: Salvami

I shivered from the cold water splashed on me. I forgot how many times they poured; I gave up losing count. The chill of the night breeze passing by the broken walls of the abandoned building didn't help. What's worse is that they tied me into a chair and I couldn't even hug myself to lessen the cold.

"I repeat, what's in the package entrusted to the Orleonnes?!"

I don't know. My lips trembled, unable to speak even if I wanted to. I'm freezing, in pain and afraid.

Then, this time, a cold metal kissed my forehead. "Tell me or I'll blow your brains off!"

My head heavy, it hung low and all I saw were the man's leather shoes.

"Hil, stop damaging the goods," said another voice, this time, calmer. "It would be a waste. A little color and we can sell her to the highest bidder."

"Y-You... you can't," I said at last, able to utter the words silently.

Someone lifted my face. "Such a sweet voice, and a sweet face."

Unlike the man with a gun whose ears were filled with earrings, the one in front of me looked so ordinary I could mistake him for an office worker.

He's probably in his thirties with a casual aura, acting and talking like everything is business. He wore a suit with a black tie.

"You...him, you can't...no one can own me." At this point, no one would save me. If this is the end, I would make a brave face.

The people you longed for, they're gone. They abandoned you. Maybe Zak was right.

"Kill me," I said in between trembles. "Just... kill me."

"My, my...you look pathetic," said the sweet voice.

In my hazy vision, I tried to make out a white figure who emerged from the shadows. Though her flowing black hair covered half of her face, I recognized the girl from the Orleonne mansion.

"How—?"

"Seven," the girl said with disappointment and tucked the strands of hair behind her ear. "You only brought seven men."

"W-Who are you? How did you—?" and aimed the gun at her.

She wasn't a bit fazed and continued. "Galienci. The mafia family ruling a small country in southern pacific, heavily involved in trafficking, preferably female Caucasians and children, porn, sex trade and all the related nasty stuff. Still, we belong to the same territory Sir, no need for hostility."

"Rick, do you know her? We can kill her, right?"

"No, she'd be good for business," the man in suit answered, sizing her worth.

"I know you!" she pointed at him, eyes sparkling like someone who met her hero. "Rickshaw Urb and that loser with piercings is Hil, uhm, whatever. I forgot your last name, sorry. You're the guys who do the dirty work for the Galiencis, right? It's nice to meet you, Sirs." She curtsied like a princess.

"Shut up or I'll shoot you!"

"But I'm profitable," she reacted coyly. "I think you can sell me to pedophiles at a good price. If you shoot me, that's bad for business." She then tilted her head in inquiry. "Sir, your hands are shaking. Are you cold?"

"You little shit."

"Zakie," she called out adoringly, "Are the Galiencis always this nervous in front of a pretty lady?" She referred to herself.

From another dark side of the building, Zak emerged. "No, but I heard their pride means everything to them."

He's here. He came.

After Rick and Hil, he observed my soaked state. The same grey eyes had nothing to show. "Do you want me to save you?"

I can protect myself! People are willing to protect me. To die for me. I said those words with head up high. I didn't need him and I was afraid, that's what I thought. I thought wrong.

"All you need to do is ask, Hanna," and he smiled mockingly, with an 'I told you so' written all over his face. I guess I had no choice but to admit it. I needed him... somehow, I do.

"Save me... please save me."

That's all that I had to say when his mocking facade was replaced by a glint of anger. "Tell the others to wait," he told the girl. "They would be finished by now."

"What about her?"

"She knows what to do."

"Shut up and get it over wit—"

Hil couldn't finish talking. He fell on the floor with a thud, eyes still wide open.

"Don't interrupt when someone is talking. That is rude, Sir," the girl reminded him politely, a gun on her hand.

Zak didn't look pleased. "You don't have to do that."

"But I want to! Geez, it's not even a real bullet, just a needle for temporary paralysis. Maybe hemorrhage. Just thank me. You're ungrateful as usual." She stomped away then paused, "Hey... don't die." Then she disappeared into the night.

Rick kicked Hil but he didn't wake up. "Is this what happened to the Colombo men? Maybe the rumors are true after all. I admire your guts in dealing with the neutrals that none of the southern nor did the northern families. After all these years, they offered help, to you. What did you do, kid?" He pulled to loosen his tie. "There's more, isn't it?"

"Maybe. Maybe not."

"As I thought, you're sly. Now I understand why some are threatened, you surprise me, young Orleonne. However, is this what you want? It's said that you didn't want this kind of life. Now you're here, aiming for the throne of the South and maybe... conquer the North?"

Zak shrugged, "Something like that."

Rick laughed. "A dream of every mafia family, how original. And you'll start by saving...her? Does she entertain you? You got yourself a beauty, young king. She could worth a fortune."

"You rob me the same words." Zak spared me a glance and said, "Hanna, you know what to do."
Trust him again. That's what he meant. So what if bad things happen in the dark? He's here. I have nothing to fear for now. Fatigue, hunger and pain made it easier for me to decide. Don't die.
I didn't know how long I slept and woke up leaning on someone's chest. A familiar scent and strong arms held me close.

"Is he... dead?" I asked, groggy.

"Yes."

"Did... you kill him?"

Something about our conversation gave me a connection to him. It was about death, but his voice was like a comfort. My hands circled his neck and burrowed my face. The anger from our last conversation was now gone and replaced with something comfortable. A strange feeling that made us isolated from the rest of the world.

"No."

"Then how?"

"For the Galiencis, losing is a shame. Before the enemy can beat them, they rather die than admit weakness."

Suicide is what he meant. The Colombos, Galienci, Orleonne... they may all belong to the Mafia, but they all have their differences. Somehow, I understood Zak. We came from the same roots.
If I had stayed away from it for a long time, he was still in it and wanted something back. A throne? Criminals don't have thrones, they have sins. I have so many questions that he won't probably answer.

"Who are you, Zak?" And I clung to him and fell asleep.

I woke up in a white room with a big window and the same girl peeling apples on my bedside.

"I'm Lilo," she said without looking up.

Lilo. Such a fitting name for a pretty face, full of life and mischief.

"I'm—"

"—I know who you are."

Of course. They are the kind of people who probably knew me, as Hanna Mamori, that is.

"Eat." Her hands hung in the air. I didn't accept the offer. She was surrounded by the same pretentious innocence just like the first time I met her.

"Don't worry, it's clean. No poison. We won't waste our lives just to poison you."

I'm not sure if her smile was real, but she got a point. I took it and borrowed the knife, cut it in half and gave her the other slice.

She just stared at it. "I hate apples."

"Then why do you always peel it?"
"It's a good practice of control for my hands. Besides, I hate apples so much that I love watching them rot."

I had no response. What a complex character she has. Although she said it lightly, I assumed there's something more to it. She stood and threw the peelings on the bin. "You didn't die, that's good." She walked to the door, exactly as Zak entered. Lilo left without a word.

"I'm Zak," he said once we're alone.

I found myself grinning. "I know." The Orleonnes might not be used to having visitors. They introduce themselves late.

"Zachary Orleonne."

"I know," I repeated.

This time, there's no more humor. "Do you?"

Do I know him? "Then, who are you Zak?"

"I have a lot of things to say Hanna, but the more you know, the more you'll be in danger. Ask me, but don't expect me to answer all of them."

So this is it. I put down the apple, careful not to stain the blanket. "When.. when the Galiencis took me, they're asking about a 'package'. Second from Colombo talked about it too. What is the package about, Zak?" 

"Ask me another."

"Who's Lilo?"

"Daughter of my father," he answered as a matter-of-fact.

Surprisingly, a part of me was relieved. Maybe it was the feeling of knowing something. A question less.

"So, you're siblings?" No wonder she calls him 'Zakie'.

"If she wants to."

Despite the vagueness, I didn't probe further. Maybe Zak's life was more complicated than it looks. But then, why would he bother to look out for me?

"Zak, why do you want to protect me?"

He looked straight into my eyes and answered without hesitation. "I'm waging a war, Hanna. A war between demons. Probably, my soul is already burning in hell. Let's just say, protecting you from my enemies could earn me a good point in heaven. Protecting you is my only vice. I want to know what it's like to have a conscience."

A war between criminal families fighting for control, and I am his equalizer.

"Is that enough?" he asked.

"Yes... for now."

***

Save Me