Chapter One | The Meeting I

Gabriel walked down the white corridor of the facility; his footsteps echoed down the corridor as if announcing a daunting presence. His feet were light on the floor but carried purpose. His pristine white lab-coat swished behind him as he walked with his back straight and his stance tall. A highly classified file in hand, he was on his way to meet the Director of the facility who was a high-ranking government official.

The air was sanitised, and even a speck of dust couldn't be spotted in the wide corridor with white all around. Gabriel turned around a corner while tapping the file on his left hand - showing a sign of his impatience. He had walked for the past few minutes just to get to that point, but he had to do it because of his position as the Head Researcher. After another minute of silent walking, during which he only came across single personnel responsible for cleaning, he reached the door he had been aiming for.

The door was inconspicuous, it had nothing special and if someone came across it, it would most likely come off as a storage place. It had a few eye-catching signs stuck on the door saying 'Caution', 'You are under surveillance' and the like. No one who didn't know about it already couldn't guess that his place was, in fact, the way to the private passageway to the Director's special office; only a few of the highest ranked researchers and officials knew about it. People at the facility who weren't allowed entrance believed the room to be an abandoned and empty storage room which remained sealed.

Gabriel casually glanced behind himself, seeming lazy and uninterested because of his body language - but his eyes held vigilance and caution unsuitable on a researcher who was known to be physically weaker than the military. Seeing no one around, Gabriel touched his forefinger on a simple black spot on the door which most-likely would have gone unnoticed. Nothing happened for a couple of seconds, but Gabriel stood still, not moving a muscle as he kept his finger pressed on the cool metal surface of the door. After a full 10 seconds had passed, the sign on the door saying 'Caution' in bold letters sunk back into the door to reveal an eye scanner. After a quick iris scan, the door opened to allow him entrance.

"What an ancient system," Gabriel muttered to himself as a small corridor with another door revealed itself; he was slightly annoyed at the long process. The verification program was highly advanced but the method of verification was very old because frankly if anyone broke into the facility, they wouldn't be able to figure out the way to enter because of the ancient setup that no one handled these days.

After passing the age-old verification system, he had to pass another one which had an even more advanced verification program running in. Gabriel walked through the 10-meter long corridor while relaxed and easily opened the other door; not encountering anything in between. The corridor seemed completely normal, but it had one of the most deadly systems that the galaxy currently possessed. This dangerous system was one of the best - there was another one in the country which was an upgraded version that surrounded the President's office and home - otherwise, there was nothing comparable to it.

This seemingly normal corridor had all sorts of mechanisms hidden in the wall, ceiling and even the floor. While it may seem like nothing happened during Gabriel's walk through the corridor, he was actually fully scanned and verified to the smallest detail possible. If hypothetically, he had failed the verification - he would be blasted apart within milliseconds of entering the second corridor. The way to the office required Gabriel to go down to another floor through a set of staircases which lay right after the second door.

As Gabriel stepped down the last stair, a woman dressed immaculately with her dark hair tied behind her in a tight bun. She wore formal attire and could be considered an amazingly beautiful woman with her calm face that didn't reflect even a single emotion as she spotted Gabriel making his way towards her.